A solution for racism

Let’s use game day security contracts to require antiracist education, deescalation training, and background checks. Empower activist athletes to facilitate that training. Create an event called The Ultimate Fan Experience for the Boys in Blue. Use the cop’s love of sports to overcome their natural oppositional defiance to change. Use those sideline season tickets & all that overtime as a carrot & stick. Who’s more powerful, police unions or the NCAA + NFL + WNBA etc?

If cops are abolished, who’s going to work security at the Boston Marathon? Blackwater? If private security contractors pop up to fill that void, who would they actually hire, if not recently unemployed, disgruntled, racist excops, whose irrational fear that Black & brown people are coming for their job, has been validated? They’re already trained, and bring their own guns. Do they have badge numbers? Do they wear body cameras? What sort of civilian oversight exists currently? Furthermore, abolishing police doesn’t abolish the racism in their heart.

Tomi Lahren has been speaking at police training seminars. Her message? Using lethal force isn’t anything to feel bad about. If she gets time with cops, why not an antiracist? (Google it)

If the NCAA adopts this program, it could happen at colleges across the country, Before the starts of the fall sports season. Will cops be abolished before then?

The Ultimate Fan Experience for the Boys in Blue.
Wanna #BeTheChage? Here’s an audience of cops, contractually required to listen. Give those cops the opportunity to fail. I’m sure a Black man in charge of a room full of cops, will be able to pick out the cross burners, by the end of a weekend. Might not be able to get them off the force, but could take them off the sideline, and make them work the parking lot.

If universities dovetail this program with their existing criminal justice degrees, some student athletes who participate as facilitators will naturally pursue a career in law enforcement, after sports.

This strategy allows for the identification & removal of actively racist cops, the retraining of the passively racist, while training a whole new crop of cops from scratch, in the process.

Morale, retention, and recruitment is an issue many departments across the country are struggling with. The Ultimate Fan Experience for the Boys in Blue addresses that problem too. Plus, cops that are already demoralized will be further demoralized by being banished to the parking lot. Encourage them to quit.

At some point in a football player’s career, they get fitted for pads. Do something similar, but for cops & body armor, with the caveat that it comes with a self activating camera, with three microphones. This gives the opportunity for legislators to throw money at the problem, while gaining support from the manufacturers, & conservatives.

While we hope & pray that our society will change, to the point where armed security isn’t necessary at large public gatherings, let’s accept reality, and use that institutional relationship to combat racism in the hearts & minds of racists.

1 Like

What incentive is there for the police? They secure those contracts regardless of what the team says. The city has a lot of power in this process. Police also already are getting to be close to the players, they are participating in community relations activations which help their image with the community (to some extent), and they aren’t really held accountable when exhibiting undesired behavior. I tried, unsuccessfully, with the support of the team, to get police to simply agree they would not staff games with police who have had complaints of brutality or excessive force made against them. They flat our refused, basically saying “what are you gonna do if we don’t?”

I like where you’re going with this, though. I think more direct action needs to come from owners (most of whom are if not racist themselves, engaging in white supremacy) and players (most of whom are 1. kids, essentially. 2. not aware or inclined to pay attention. 3. are fine with status quo because they continue to profit. How many stepped up and sat/knelt with Colin? He got next to no support from fellow players because they have too much to lose. Same with NBA. They could have made some change when they almost didn’t play a couple years ago, but Obama convinced them against it.) But, if we can get more players and owners on board to follow through with threats, boycotts, strikes, etc. it puts pressure on the police and the unions (via the city and elites) - which are the major issue. Even if the cop as an individual wants better from the department, the union and leadership have power. (see Edwin Raymond in Crime + Punishment)

I like your point about Blackrock taking over for police when they’re abolished. Of course it would be privatized. We’re living in America. Obviously, that’s not the goal of “defund” or “abolish” the police movements. Most resources would be moved into ways to prevent crime. There are a lot of crimes that can’t be prevented, so to enforce laws a new organization would take over very specific functions. I do worry about the transition, but we can’t keep living with the police force as is. And unfortunately, there are enough black cops in positions of power who have bought into the white supremacist view, and they believe they are one of the good ones and look down on the rest of us who didn’t make it (get picked). So, still difficult to pick out the racist ones. Obama got the country to rally around Joe Biden and make him our 2nd straight president who I consider a white supremacist - again, engaging in and profiting from white supremacy.

Thanks for starting the conversation.

1 Like

You bring up a lot of good points. I also appreciate you keeping it respectful. I like your attitude, of being able to see flaws, without discarding the entire idea.

You’re right, officers already get those perks. The stadiums, and campuses are private property. Those institutions get to dictate who carries a gun onto their property. If the Foxborough police don’t want to participate with the program, how about Attleboro or Walpole cops? Someone has to work the sideline, someone else gets the parking lot.

Those “community relations” are ONE cop, interacting with the community. ALL the cops need to feel part of the community they serve & protect. Flip the dynamics, and put a Black person in charge of a room full of cops, contractually REQUIRED to listen.

This gives the owners the opportunity to put the responsibility back on the players. Wanna #BeTheChange? Here ya go.

Part of defunding the police includes taking away the cop’s unnecessary military weapons. Doing so, also takes away that playtime. Left up to the departments, they’ll replace it with other weapons training. If they do implement de-escalation training, it’ll feel like punishment & be completely ineffective. So don’t call it deescalation training and listening sessions. Call it The Ultimate Fan Experience for the Boys in Blue.

Derek Chauvin was a field training officer. A FBI report from 2006 showed a coordinated campaign by white supremacists to infiltrate law enforcement across the country. They’re now 16 year vets. They’re the ones writing & facilitating police training currently. If racism is learned behavior, and the teachers are racist, and the curriculum is racist, it’s inevitable that the students become racist. Combine that with the toxic cop bro code, and all cops are racist. Yes, even Black cops.

Tomi Lahren has been speaking at police training seminars. Her message: using lethal force isn’t anything to feel bad about. (Google it) If she gets time for that message, why not an antiracist, teaching cops how to avoid using lethal force? Deescalation isn’t rocket science. The majority of professional athletes have college degrees.

If universities dovetail this program with their criminal justice degrees, those faculty can craft the training curriculum. Plus, perhapss some student athletes who participate as facilitators, will pursue a career in law enforcement, after sports.

Police departments are struggling with morale, retention, and recruitment. This addresses those problems too. Take away the sideline season tickets & stick the problem cops in the parking lot, and hopefully it’ll discourage them from keeping their job. On the flip side, if a cop from a different jurisdiction saves a baby, those sideline season tickets can be used as a reward.

Thanks

1 Like

Right on. I appreciate the first part. I am tired of everything being so aggressive online. I understand I don’t have all the answers and my opinions are just that. Glad we’re on board.

I’m down to propose this kind of idea to my former team, as a follow up from our initial plan, after some refining. Just see what the options are. This goes through the legal dept. There are so many issues beyond public knowledge, for the most part, that goes through legal dealing with the city, county, and state.

I’m worried about getting steamrolled again though, but can’t get anything done without trying. Just hope the relationship doesn’t get worse. The city already has issues as far as I know.

I see the morale issue. They feel attacked. But who is bringing that on? Instead of holding each other accountable, they are covering for each other in obvious brutality and accidental (best case) murders. It’s hard to imagine they’ll play ball, pun not intended. I like the thought of offering work to other depts, but again I think it’s a deal with the city, and they determine. At least for us, the city owns the stadium. We just maintain and use it.

A lot of good thoughts to consider. I’m still more for limiting and defunding police but also taking away a lot of the demands placed on them. They deal with too much that they’re unequipped to handle appropriately. I don’t want people to hate them, but a lot of it is on them to change. Maybe by extending these kinds of gestures it will, but not holding my breath, with the people who are in charge past actions.

Take care

1 Like

Let me know, if there’s anything I can do to help you talk with your old team. How about your college or highschool? Deescalation isn’t rocket science. Could also deemphasize the training, and focus on the community building. Take from this idea what works for your situation. Leave what doesn’t.

Every team & stadium has its own unique relationship with security, legally speaking. Temple, for example, plays at the same stadium as the Eagles. So that complicates things. But, Gillette Stadium, and Patriots Place that surrounds it, is 100% privately owned. It’s is definitely the exception, being the only stadium in private ownership. However, this is where players can come into play. If the cops don’t play ball, neither do the players. Will the cops want to be the reason their team forfeits?

Some jurisdictions have the Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Right. That often bars civilian review boards. This could get around that.