Book Chat Friday, July 23, 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT

Mark your calendars for Friday, July 23, @ 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT. We’ll talk about the book: The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein.

Read pdf for free , or order online to support her work if you can.

Our discussion will focus on section 2, “The First Test: Birth Pangs,” (pgs. 89-159 of the soft cover book).

For those who are new to our chats, we read independently and then hop onto a Zoom conference call to talk about it. Details for how to call in are below. We welcome all newcomers!

RSVP is not required, but we would love to know who is going to join us. Simply respond to this post.

Call Info: Click this Zoom call link - Launch Meeting - Zoom or dial in with the info below.

Meeting ID: 991 5770 2151
Passcode: 227236
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeEltLGe67

Watch clips from a previous Community Chat.

5 Likes

Let my Mom start reading The Shock Doctrine. She said SCARY

3 Likes

You did it!

She really let Bush Jr. have it

1 Like

I’ve read some of the second part, I was so disgusted had to put it down for a few days

2 Likes

I’ve had to do that quite frequently, I’m afraid.

3 Likes

What are we supposed to read up to for Friday been putting it off guess I’ll start back.

I’m still lagging behind because I definitely have to space out my readings. I can’t wait for our next meeting though because this really is such a vital read for understanding how America - and the world - has gotten to this point.

2 Likes

Nothing but GREED, that’s all they can think about. I’m a giving person when I was working North Anna and Surry Nuclear Power Station we had check pools and race pools coast you $10.
Whoever won would buy $1 lottery tickets for everybody that played, sort of a consolation prize. I would buy $5 lottery tickets to give to everybody that played. Giving back half of what I won.

3 Likes

We are suppose to be reading through Part 2, The First Test. There are like little mini-chapters in each Part, but they are not numbered. So read through Part 2 to you hit Part 3. Does that help?

1 Like

We are so glad you have joined us. I agree that this book is vital and should have read it long before now. It is important to know how we got into this mess we are in. It is pretty heavy reading in that it is so maddening and depressing (at least, so far). I have to put it down frequently just to regroup. As a result, I’m lagging a little myself, but hope to catch up before we meet. However, it really doesn’t matter if you don’t catch up. I’m sure our discussions will offer enough info and opinions for you to participate. I was behind last time we met, but was still able to participate in the discussion. Again, thanks for joining us and I hope you find it as interesting and fun as the rest of us.

2 Likes

What an understatement! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’m a Ford guy, now I don’t know what I’m going to do. I was planning on buying a Lincoln Aviator next year, but after reading what Ford did, I might just buy a new H-D Road Glide.
Since I’ve been a Union member for going on 35 years I believe if I’d been there I’d burn the factories to the ground. I hate society more and more every day.

1 Like

I’ve struggled with the same thing. It’s all stomach-churning, to say the very least. I do think there are some positive takeaways. Perhaps we can talk about those tonight.

Pixie & Trixie as pups

3 Likes