Let's Discuss Boooks & Movies!

Hey, Everybody! I had this great idea for our community to form a Book Club or Book & Movie Club, whatever you want to call it. Basically, we could develop a reading list and a movie list for topics of discussion. We could give ourselves time to read the book/movie and then discuss on the Community Discussion Board. Taking it a step further, we could even meet monthly or bi-monthly on a conference call for a discussion as well. If you think you might be interested. Let us know! Maybe you have some books or movies you would like to suggest. If so, add that to your comment. We want to know if there would be interest in such a Club (and we can come up with a better name for it, if you want). Leave us comment and we will get the ball rolling! Thanks all you TYTians!

5 Likes

I love this idea! Been wanting to do it for awhile. Thanks for organizing this. Let me know what you all come up with and I can help with a video call if we want to discuss a book or movie.

2 Likes

That’s a big yes for me. I’m in the TYT Book Club on Facebook which is pretty much inactive. LOL

LOVE BOTH!!

3 Likes

This is such a great idea! Let’s try to make it reader-friendly!

3 Likes

This is a great idea! Since many of us are on tight budgets, I suggest books and movies that are freely available online or at our public libraries.

In addition to YouTube, you can find free movies at Pluto and Xumo. There is also Kanopy, which many public libraries subscribe to. Two relevant movies at Kanopy are I Am Not Your Negro and Young Karl Marx. Both are amazing!

Free books are available at Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, Marxists Internet Archive, and LibriVox. Every so often, Verso and Haymarket make select ebooks free. You have to subscribe to their newsletters to get notified, but they never share your info.

We could also come to a consensus on what we already have in our home libraries.

3 Likes

Awesome! I loved "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman? Cicely Tyson was superb! Much of what you mentioned, I’ve heard of, but never had the opportunity to learn much about. I could learn a lot from your reading & movie experiences! It sounds great and lend itself greatly to our book/movie club. Just what I had in mind! Thanks!

2 Likes

That was my thinking! I admit to being a rather slow reader. I tend to read word for word to fully comprehend, especially with non-fiction. If we were to get into anything complicated, would definitely recommend a long enough time span to fully read it. Thank you for sharing that point!

1 Like

I agree that budget can be an issue. This is one of the reasons I added movies to the book club idea. Often times they are easier to come by and don’t take as long to accomplish if there are time constraints.

I actually started to watch “Young Karl Marx” on Prime the other night, but was in a different language with subtitles and wasn’t in the mood to take that on at the time. (Assuming this is the same movie you are referring to). I still want to watch it though. I also saw they had “I Am Not Your Negro.” At least, I think it was Prime that I saw it on. Another movie I saw on FreeSpeech TV, which I think I also so on Prime, was a documentary about Howard Zinn. Excellent.

I appreciate the information about resources as well. Thank you!

1 Like

So glad this is coming together! How do you all feel with us starting with a movie? This way we can hop on a video chat sooner, meet one another, and then use that time to decide on our next venture, which might be easier to talk through.

2 Likes

After pressing the blue image link in my last post I realized that my question is redundant because now I have figured out how to upload graphics to my category “digital art and digitally enhanced art“. Now I’m really stoked and can get going providing content to my category. You were right. I just didn’t understand the paradigm.

1 Like

I like that idea! There are many documentaries or stories based on a true story that we could choose from. I will look through some of them and give my recommendations. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

I would be very into this idea. I also really like the idea of proposing movies or books that are readily available via sources like pluto tv or the library (I have been able to stream a bunch of great movies/documentaries with my library membership). Only additional suggestion- maybe to start with something accessible to members of all different resources to get it started-time of which is likely the most pressing. Whatever is chosen, I am looking forward to discussing

2 Likes

Yes, those are the same movies! I discovered Kanopy in the academic databases at my places of employment, but I also get access with my public library card. Kanopy also has You Can’t be Neutral on a Moving Train (doc about Zinn). Speaking of Zinn, the entire book of A People’s History is freely available at History is a Weapon and LibCom.

I also love your idea of the FSTV docs! The network streams online and offers the on-demand videos at the website, as well. All content is free of charge.

2 Likes

Hi everyone - sorry I’m just responding. It’s been a busy week. Sounds like we’re down to start with a free-to-access movie. Let’s do eeeet.

I prefer week nights but am open to what works best for you all. I’m 6 hours behind eastern time so probably fairly flexible with everyone’s schedule.

Shall we make a date and then choose the movie so we make it happen? How about this Monday, 5/24, at 8pm ET? It gives us the weekend to watch the movie. I’m flexible on when - just getting the party started. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, Alison! I got distracted here recently and wasn’t able to get back to you. But Monday should be okay with me. I have a TF2 meeting at 7 ET but we should be done in time for me to switch over by 8 ET (I’m on Central Time). I have several movies in mind. Also do we want to keep the group focused on politics etc., or do we want “anything goes?” That might be something we want to discuss when we meet. Do we want our first meeting to be a chat discussion or are we talking a conference call to start?

Just FYI, I noticed that David Sirota is doing a similar movie watch on the Daily Poster. Just a fun fact. :grinning:

1 Like

A first meet for our group has been suggested for 5/24, Mon at 8 ET to decide on a movie to watch for our first task. Is this a good time for everyone? Any other suggestions? Please let us know! We’re anxious to get the party started! :grinning:

1 Like

I guess it’s not happening tonight! I can do next Wed, Jun 2 @ 8pm ET if we want to give people more time to respond. I personally think leaving it open to any subject or genre is best. Maybe we should just plan it and if only you and I show up, I’m happy with that. We can at least announce the day, time, and movie and then people can see if it works for them.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I haven’t received any response either and I posted here and on Slack. Next Wed. is good for me. I’ll see if I can’t get someone, anyone to respond. Btw, the documentary “Wilmington on Fire” is going to be on Free Speech TV on May 27 at 7:00pm EST. That might be a possibility to start. Just throwing that out there. I’ll let you know if I hear anything from anyone.

1 Like

Great suggestion. Let’s do it so we can give people ample notice of the opportunity to watch for free. And, in that case, let’s talk Friday at 8pm ET if that works for you. That way we can chat about the movie while it’s still fresh in our minds. How does that sound?

1 Like

Sounds like a plan! Sometimes you just have to tell people what the plan is. At least, until you get started. Are we meeting by chat or will we have a conference call?