Movie Club? Friday, 5/28, at 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT

Join us this Friday as we talk about the movie Wilmington on Fire. We’ll each watch the movie on our own, and then hop on a conference call (video optional) to talk about it. Details below. Please respond here if you plan to join us. RSVP is not required, but we would love to know who is going to join us and meet you ahead of time if possible. :hugs:

Thanks to community member @MSt.Clair1962 for organizing this movie night for us and finding a movie we can all watch for free! :heart:

Movie: Wilmington on Fire
How to Watch: Watch before our meet-up below so we can talk about the movie together.

• Watch for FREE on Thurs, 5/27. It’s either at 7pm ET OR @ 9pm ET. We have gotten conflicting information, so please be aware of this possibility and visit www.freespeech.org. Roku has a FSTV app and you can watch live programming on there as well.

• If you miss the live stream/airing, you should be able to catch the movie here after it airs. Thanks for this link, @Jessica_TF2!

• Watch for $5 on a few different platforms. Click here for details.

When Is Our Movie Chat? Friday, 5/28, at 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT

Where: Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 917 0002 7665
Passcode: 926587
One tap mobile
+16699009128,91700027665#,*926587# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,91700027665#,*926587# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 917 0002 7665
Passcode: 926587
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abkDqEghNK

About Wilmington on Fire:

“A new feature-length documentary that chronicles The Wilmington Massacre of 1898. The Wilmington Massacre of 1898 was a bloody attack on the African-American community by a heavily armed white mob with the support of the North Carolina Democratic Party on November 10, 1898 in the port city of Wilmington, North Carolina. It is considered one of the only successful examples of a violent overthrow of an existing government and left countless numbers of African-Americans dead and exiled from the city. This event was the spring board for the White Supremacy movement and Jim Crow segregation throughout the state of North Carolina and the American South. This incident has been barely mentioned and has been omitted from most history books. It was not until 2006, after the North Carolina General Assembly published a report on it, that the tragedy became known to the general public.”

1 Like

Great! Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

If you miss the live stream/airing, you should be able to catch the VOD here after it airs on Thurs.

Americans need to know the whole truth–no matter how troubling–about their history, so I’m grateful that FSTV is airing this highly important documentary. Looking forward to watching!

2 Likes

Added it to the announcement. Thanks, Jessica!

60 minutes has a 12 min. special about the Greenwood Massacre. It’s obviously a related subject so I recommend checking it out when you get a sec: Uncovering the Greenwood Massacre, nearly a century later - YouTube

Thanks to member Christopher Montgomery who commented on the TYT Today Blog and shared this. It’s the first time I’ve heard of it myself. Feel free to jump in and thank him! Movie Club? Friday, May 28, at 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT - TYT.com

Please be aware that the FREE viewing of Wilmington on Fire tonight, Thursday, on www.freespeech.org is EITHER at 7pm ET OR 9pm ET. We have gotten conflicting information, so please be aware of this possibility. I made this change in the original post as well. Hope to see you all on our movie chat call tomorrow!

1 Like

So I missed it I was phone banking till 8 then took my miniature dachshund for a ride. Missed it because I thought it came on at 9

I missed it too. We unfortunately got conflicting information about the time. I’m going to watch it later, but does cost $5 :confused: … If you can’t watch it before our call, you’re still more than welcome to join us. I’m sure it will still be interesting and worthwhile.

I missed the livestream, and the VOD isn’t up yet. However, in February, Sam Seder interviewed David Zucchino on the Wilmington Massacre. Not sure how much it aligns with the doc, but at least it provides critical info.

1 Like

Amazon Prime has it and it’s only $2.99. Watched half of it last night finishing this morning

1 Like

So glad it worked out for you! See you on the call :smiley:

This is a little late, but it is now readily available to view at anytime for free on FSTV on their website.

1 Like

I great zoom meeting, up too late though, I’m donating platelets tomorrow need to get to bed, but I usually stay up till 2-3 in the morning
See y’all on the 11th

Hi. Sorry physical reading on a screen is very slow for me. I didn’t have time to read your response before the meeting and then I forgot until you posted again. I’m through the speech (absolutely vile lies after what they did) and on the Red Shirts section. I promise I’m reading you, it just is very slow. I can’t afford a good screen reading app so I have to use my autistic eyes and it causes slowness.

Edit: Ok, I’ve finished reading. I really appreciate all the research and detail you put in your response. I went to middle and high school in Cary, NC (class of 2002). I don’t remember them even talking about the Wilmington Ten, and it’s pretty shameful.

I might try to watch that movie. I’m autistic and sometime big emotions in movies are painful to me, but I think I would like to try to watch it.

Regarding how to select content for the club, I think the idea is to do it democratically.

1 Like

Syzygy

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to respond in a timely manner. I received your response in the middle of juggling a lot of projects, interviews, and meetings, as well as preparing for our movie chat. I still have not had a chance to read both of your posts in detail enough to digest them and offer a thoughtful response. It is in no way a reflection of how much I or anyone cares. I am definitely in no position to respond to every single comment in a timely manner according to each person. That is part of why we have this community to be able to work together and offer support in a variety of ways without me being the one who does everything. That is not sustainable nor democratic, which is what the space is meant to be.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about in regards to my biases. That feels really unfair. I have spent a lot of time interacting with you, reaching out to you, and we have all welcomed you. If there is something in particular I said or did, please let me know so that I can be aware.

I want to establish reasonable expectations here, so if you’re planning to put a lot of work into something and have expectations for the community, it would help to give us a heads up so that we have some time to prepare or let you know if we have the capacity to meet your expectations. I hope you will stick around but if this doesn’t feel like the right fit for you, I understand and respect that.

I wish you all the best.

I don’t understand this response. I thought syzygy was strictly an astronomy term, but google told me it can also be “a pair of connected or corresponding things”. What are the two things you are saying are connected or corresponding?