The future of education

Directive- Bridge the gap between secondary and collegiate education by qualifying secondary education honors programs and learned proficiency through after school programs.

Objective 1: Standardize Advanced Placement to be accepted universally in University.

Objective 2: through an official after school program, standardize curriculum to allow possible 100 and 200 level college credit with relevant clubs and activities.

Objective 3: Improved scholarship path utilizing scholarship searches for interests or potentially achievable awards to encourage education engagement.

Freshman year of high school is an appropriate time to start scholarship searches, but junior high is a good time to bring awareness to the opportunity.

Goals selected may be supported by school expertise and support.

Objective 4: Encouregment and assistance in scholarship application junior year of highschool giving students adequate time to complete applications and requirements.

In addition, preliminary college preparation and general university awareness.

Any additional school specific scholarships may be considered, as well as transcript consideration.

Objective 5: At this point college preparatory students are already easier managed with starting work, considerations, and realistic possibilities.

Also to be considered are those without the grades necessary to support collegiate education.

By senior year, diminishing returns for unqualified students will be a danger.

This is where I believe focus on trade school, art schools if vocation is warranted, or work training opportunities to allow students, even those that choose not to go to college, to put their best first foot forward.

I’m not sure how to best present this one, so here is the bulk of that discussion:

Part 1:

I was talking about secondary education development with a friend and the kinds of scholarships there were outside of college scholarships.

This is my side of the conversation.

"There are other scholarships, activity related scholarships. Generally speaking in competitive academia, that means getting to nationals, on the way will be state scholarships and other qualifying scholarships.

The idea is that it is absurd that we start thinking about our college education at senior year. Even if you were prepared to go all in with college prep, you barely have enough time for applications let alone scholarships.

At freshman year, you can look at the scholarship archive and see first what’s out there. It adds opportunity for potential scholarships if you start early, knowing qualifications gives you goals.

That means by junior year you should have most the requirements completed. We’re talking essays, portfolios, published work, what have you. When you finally get to applications and school scholarships, there will already be proficiency in applying.

From this idea, I would like to develop a better secondary education program that caters to empowering young adults to be self reliant.

Yes, half the battle is getting kids engaged, but on the other side of that coin is keeping available the resources necessary for kids to take matters into their own hands.

Unknowledgeable, inaccessible, or straight up negligent parents can be mitigated if there were actual boot straps to pull you up by.

The strategy I layout is definitely better than our current system of nothing right?

Sounds awesome right?

A unique experience that I think I was fortunate to have that very few do, is the sheer amount of after school activities I was in.

Monday -Thursday I wouldn’t be home until 8, even then I wasn’t able to do every club I wanted.

Aside from public school, Flagstaff has a pretty robust after school program, and that’s where it’s at.

All it needs is a little more structure, we’ve been running under budget until now, and even then, with our shitty school system, I was able to get by with some good foundation.

Music, speech and debate, theater, I did it all, and the drive came from being active with my fellow peers. It’s fun, because of the peer factor.

And scholarship programs aren’t utilized as much as even the philanthropist would like. Simple enough to provide the qualifications, all we need is to officially establish after school programs.

I’d also like to remind you that I went to Sinagua for 2 years, was in the choir with a few of your teammates in highschool.

Not just FALA, I learned speech and debate from Mr. Kyle.

There was so much talent like Amethyst and Vlad…

When Snake Island told that Russian Warship to go fuck themselves, all I could think of was the Ukrainian foreign exchange student that ironically also told everyone to go fuck themselves.

Mr. Kyle skipped pay to get us to regionals.

How they fucking got away without paying him is fucking bullshit, there were at least 20 people in that after school club!

All 3 highschools when I graduated had unofficial jazz bands affiliated to them, student body created jam sessions you could find anywhere in Flagstaff.

No kidding, you know what I’m talking about, Mrs. Hill’s son’s band was fucking awesome! Sinagua!

So no, don’t discount your own highschool education either, the opportunity was always there, whether we took advantage of it or not.

If I haven’t convinced you yet, then I know this will.

I failed AP Chemistry, I barely got covalent bonding equations, and wasn’t enough disciplined in studying, or homework (I just didn’t have time!), but I remember the curriculum.

Chris and Dan were in that class, pretty sure Dan barely passed, because Mrs. Flaccus was down to Earth, super friendly, but that didn’t mean you were allowed to get by not knowing the content.

ALL of secondary educators teaching advanced placement treats their duty with a level of respect to ensure their students are given the opportunity properly.

Failure at that point is the student’s fault for not putting in their effort.

That is the excuse they use in University only to gaslight from the fact that no one even respects the practice of teaching fundamentals. As if it’s beneath them.

Hubris is simply a common mistake to make in the professional world. It is something we must always be aware of, and remind ourselves that as human beings, sin will always be a risk.

For that reason, ALL secondary education advanced placement deserves to be accepted universally across the board."

part 2:

It cost about a thousand dollars to get a degree in the 80s.

I understand education is important, but administration disregarded the sanctity of institution long ago and gave the responsibility to fraternity.

Now we’re paying 100 times more than we did 40 years ago while the economics department fails to teach their students that a living wage, affordable housing and universal healthcare is the very definition of a First World Country.

Business school teaches stock buybacks and executive salaries are more important than giving your employees enough money to live or protecting them from tornadoes.

Your chemistry department thinks overstressing intellectual minds is how you advance progress, without any regard to the safety and wellbeing of the very minds creating the science we depend on.

The results are different for every field.

In chemistry, it usually means an explosion the size of a WMD."

There are many reasons why education is so expensive, but education doesn’t even ensure the sanctity of institution.

Take the syllabus for example, I bet all of them still say that if you don’t show up for any of the first 3 days of class you will be withdrawn and given a “w”.

As a procrastinator, I was relying on that clause of the contract to avoid my first semester I was rushed into taking.

So important was my education, but my parents thought it was ok to prolong the family vacation and miss registration.

“I know the Dean.” Is what my stepdad said.

Those Fs weren’t even mine to begin with.

But who cares? Why does one F completely derail your ability to take anything else? You’re still paying for it, you’re still only allowed in ones you qualify for, but no! We’re so thirsty for every last penny, AND we need to punish you too!

It tells me pretty clearly that no one treats 100 or 200 level classes with any regard anyway, so the whole idea that it’s some exclusive education is complete BS.

You know what classes held me back University Colloquialism, English 105, an auto schedule you get when you try to find classes a week late.

The registrar didn’t even want to hear it.

What I’m most offended about is the lack of respect for the contract.

We spend a whole class going over the syllabus, and no, it’s so important that we’re always required to go through it.

When you don’t abide that contract, regardless of how irresponsible I was, that’s a failure of institution.

Admin cares very little about success, or maybe we would focus more on rate of success.

Flagstaff College offers a compelling degree, but the affordable price will be negatively affected by relying on NAU to complete your basic courses.

First, those classes ARE the overpriced ones.

We’re talking what, 12 credits? 12 basic credits… is CCC a suitable alternative?

Even then, that’s the grift of American education, it should not cost this much.

The same course in highschool should qualify to he the same.

These kids work hard to be smart, honors needs to mean something!

And because it’s the “fundamentals” of education, if they were not around to persuade me to pursue a degree, I would have to go through all the things you said I wouldn’t have to take right away, functioning as a gatekeeper to higher education.

My friend complains how graduate students treat their duties of teaching the fundamentals as beneath them.

That is the danger of depending solely on higher education to teach fundamentals.

All of a sudden, it’s ALL higher education, when in fact, all 100 means is a refresher from highschool.

All of it, because if you were involved in an after school extra curricular activity, you can learn any 100 level course during your secondary education.

Look at us, music theory would he a waste of time. If I majored in music, would any of my violin talent transfer into credits?

Because the problem is, if you start at an elevated position, college misses out on all that tuition, and that is what it’s really about

The sanctity of institution is one that must guarded by a checked balance.

The folly is distrusting secondary education as inadequate to providing a proper education to their students.

Freshman year is guised in “collegiate learning”, completely demeaning the National Honors Society, competition, and the very spirit of overachieving.

The very fact that 100 and 200 level courses aren’t recognized universally across all education makes the USA look like the special olympics because we can’t even agree to each other’s accreditations of the most basic knowledge.

If you can’t tell, I’ve been practicing my written essay, feel compelled to exercise my skills whenever I’m able.

A petty thing, holding on to grudges that I wasn’t even allowed to test out of ENG 105.

Half the kids going to college are going under the orders of their parents, and we feel like we can treat them like prisoner transfers running through check-in.

“I said next.”

They didn’t say that, that’s just how I felt.

You know what would make sense? That you were so focused on education that you could easily get through your first two years worth of basic credits before you even start college.

That’s a self earned college savings through academic hard work.

There should be no reason to restrict that.

We recruit high school sports into college.

The only time we even look at physical education is when it’s competition, and they’ve sacrificed health and sportsmanship for the win.

I look at that and think, “what a waste, why don’t we do that with speech and debate or academic competition? Why do the games not carry on?”

And then fraternity comes in and fills the void with beer pong.

If they’re going to promote substance abuse, at least attach grades to it too!

If you don’t pass you don’t get to party!

That should be the golden rule!

Making colleges look like highschool!