Air Carrier Access Act Amendment

Also I know thousands of people lost their luggage with the Southwest Airlines debacle but think of the wheelchair users in the same circs, their chairs are checked luggage so they were stuck in an airport in what is essentially a stroller that can only be moved if the person pushing it behind them pushes down on the handle to release the brakes. Not to mention the many disabled people who rely on medically necessary things like catheters, feeding tubes, ostomy bags, and breathing masks. Many of these things arenā€™t regularly available at pharmacies but have to be ordered in advance even if they can leave the airport. So while amending the ACAA wonā€™t mean a fix to those things in checked bags, it will mean no more lost wheelchairs and lot less broken wheelchairs, so please please please write your reps!

1 Like

I cannot stress enough of how important amending the ACAA is to people who use mobility aids. It is certainly not the only change that needs to happen, but it is hurting thousands a year just in the US. Please write your reps tell your friends I know we have a lame duck congress but this is something that should be able to get bipartisan support if they know itā€™s an issue the longer it goes without being brought for vote after the testimony was heard the less likelihood it has of passing so please tell everyone you know to write their reps and spread the word. The paralyzed veterans of America is a respected institution on both sides they are backing this amendment.

The testimony was heard in November so itā€™s already been 3 months congress has to be forced to care.

I Hope everyone caught the Watchlist today!!!

Thought of you when I heard it. Good job!

1 Like

Made my day let me tell you! :man_in_manual_wheelchair:t2::metal::man_in_manual_wheelchair:t2:

1 Like
1 Like

I signed. The merch is cool too.

1 Like

Huge news, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/05/disabilities-air-travel-wheelchairs/ many of you probably know from my prior soapboxes traveling as a wheelchair user is horrible but maybe a light at end of the tunnel. I cannot take credit obviously for this bill being made however Pete Stauber the GOP cosponsor of the bill was my congressman a few years ago and when I was working with Paralyzed Veterans of America we petitioned him frequently with myself and others sending him testimonials and while this is not the Amendment to the Air Carrier Access Act this would be a huge step forward for travelers with disabilities. So very exciting for me.

Iā€™m for 100% accessibility. Those airline companies can make accommodations if they wanted to.

I love this idealistically, as someone who is locked out of economy class due to size. I really doubt any airplane company would ever engineer a solution here there is a huge profit incentive not to.

Honestly overweight people doggedly reserve those emergency door seats is the reason I cannot fly. This locks larger people out of flying anything but expensive seats.

There should be rules against this.