Challenging Assumptions: A Call for Evidence-Based Political Discourse

I’ve been noticing some concerning trends in our political discussions, particularly around the debate on Biden’s candidacy. I’d like to challenge some assumptions and encourage a more evidence-based dialogue:

1. The “Unprecedented” Argument:

• Claim: “We can’t replace a nominee at this stage because it’s never been done.”
    • Challenge: Just because something is unprecedented doesn’t mean it’s impossible or wrong. Let’s discuss the actual legal and practical implications rather than dismissing the idea outright.
  2. Assumptions About Motivations:

• Claim: “Those wanting Biden to step aside are privileged and have nothing to lose.”
    • Challenge: This oversimplifies complex political views. As someone who holds this view but doesn’t fit that description, I can attest that motivations are diverse and often rooted in genuine concern for the country’s future.
  3. Need for Open Dialogue:

• Instead of making assumptions about who holds certain views and why, let’s focus on the substance of the arguments.
    • How can we create a space where all perspectives are considered based on their merits, not on assumptions about the speaker’s background?

I’m calling on all of us to:

1. Provide evidence for our claims
  2. Avoid broad generalizations about groups of people
  3. Be open to changing our views when presented with new information

Let’s elevate our discourse and focus on the issues at hand. What are your thoughts on how we can achieve this?

2 Likes

Would you include those of us who don’t like either of the candidates that either of these mainstream Capitalist parties would hand us?

Where’s the democracy? Where is the one person one vote? Given that we are encumbered by a system that developed swing states’ importance via the electoral college as well as the limiting factor of only allowing two viable Parties I have long understood that our so-called democracy is both flawed and undeveloped.

Moreover why do we insist on democracy in government but not in the workplace? But that’s a conversation for a different thread.

3 Likes

Of couuuurrrrrrssse!

1 Like

No, I don’t think the idea of insisting on Democracy in the workplace is a conversation for another thread or even another day. While Capitalism can arguably exist within a Democratic System, Democracy is not able to exist within a Capitalist System. A Democratic system should be about lifting people up, not bashing them down, and then keeping them down. A Democratic System should be about what is in the best interest of EVERYONE, not just the Majority, and certainly not just a small minority of wealthy elites. What have we become and what are we giving up in order to continue to support this Cancer of an idea that it is okay for people to exploit others for their own personal gain? This is the true definition of Insanity. So, yeah, if there is no Democracy in the workplace, there is no true Democracy in Society.

1 Like

Thank you John Michael! I agree completely!

1 Like