Form a Class Action Lawsuit against Fox Corp

I have been thinking about this for a while and I know it will be tricky. Since the settlement of the defamation suit with Dominion and ongoing legal troubles would it be possible to create a class action lawsuit to target their knowingly distribution of misinformation for the damages caused to countless American families?

So I ask ChatGPT what it would take to get the conversation rolling:
I am not a lawyer, but in the U.S. and many other jurisdictions, there are potential legal grounds for claims when misinformation is spread that causes harm. Whether a class action lawsuit can arise from this kind of situation will depend on several factors:

1. Causation: It’s crucial to establish a clear causal link between the misinformation spread by the media network and the harm suffered by individuals. If this link cannot be directly established, the case becomes more challenging.

2. Knowingly Spreading Misinformation: To have a strong case, one would typically need to prove not only that the media network spread misinformation but also that they did so knowingly (or with reckless disregard for the truth).

3. Damages: Damages would need to be specific, quantifiable, and directly related to the misinformation. General or speculative damages might not be sufficient. For example, if someone claims that misinformation led to the deterioration of family relationships, they’d need to demonstrate how the misinformation specifically caused that result.

4. Commonality: For a class action lawsuit, there must be common issues of law or fact among the class members. This means that the misinformation would likely need to have affected a large group of people in a similar manner.

5. Certification of the Class: Even if there are grounds for a lawsuit, for it to proceed as a class action, the class must be certified by the court. This typically requires showing that there are numerous class members, that there are questions of law or fact common to the class, that the claims of the representative parties are typical of the claims of the class, and that the representative parties will adequately protect the interests of the class.

6. Defenses: Media networks may have defenses available to them. For instance, in the U.S., the First Amendment protects the freedom of the press, but this does not give carte blanche for media entities to knowingly spread false information. The boundaries of this protection are a subject of extensive legal debate and litigation.

7. Public Policy Considerations: Courts might also consider the broader public policy implications of allowing (or not allowing) such lawsuits. There’s a balance to be struck between holding entities accountable for spreading falsehoods and preserving the freedom of the press.

If someone believes they’ve been harmed by misinformation spread by a media network, it would be essential to consult with a legal professional who can provide guidance tailored to their specific situation.

I think the Jan. 6 guys have the best case for certification of a class, and damages.