Japan and a New Candidate

My wife, who is Japanese, is very excited about Kamala as the new nominee. She points out that Japanese politics are very sensitive to the political climate in the US, and that switching to a younger candidate that checks off the boxes of liberalism and representation will have a strong influence on the next Japanese elections.

One of the benefits of a parliamentarian system is that it’s more flexible and influenced by which way the popular wind is blowing. I think it’s fair to say that Japan represents one of America’s most important Eastern “special relationships”, and thanks to the Marshall plan, they take it very seriously.

2 Likes

I dont like the fact that American politics has influenced japan so much that people there are also split into Pro and anti Trump factions. I mean, they should really focus on what their country needs, not follow the madness here. We have no clue what we are doing, lol!

1 Like

Good news: there aren’t pro- and anti-Trump camps, just mostly anti-Trump or ambivalent. The politicians are openly worried about Trump getting re-elected. The thing is, Japan has been forced to be interested in American politics since the end of WWII. Being officially pacifist has its price, not to mention hosting several key American bases.

On the bright side, the Japanese government, as dysfunctional as it is, still does a better job reacting to public opinion than the American one. We do have universal health care, free pre-K childcare, and a monthly stipend for each child until they reach 15, after all. (No paternity leave, though; it’s a legal fiction that nobody gets to use).

2 Likes

Sounds like our government could learn a lot from theirs!

1 Like

I dont agree with the first part but I do agree with the second. And I do think we really need to upgrade our relationship with japan. Especially with regards to economy. Continuing to hold japan hostage on terms from ww2 is insane.

1 Like

I don’t think the average person doesn’t feel like they’re being held hostage. I’m sure there are some conservatives who resent it, which is why they’re pushing to revise the constitution and allow for their own military, which I agree with, at least in theory. The majority of Japanese are proud to be a pacifist country, but it gives the US too much leverage.

Not sure how the economy figures into it, though. The yen is at a thirty-year low, which really sucks if you’re buying something from overseas, and is definitely affecting inflation. But the rich, neoliberal politicians are reluctant to stop printing money on the stock market. Different country, same problems.

1 Like

I didnt say the people felt that way. I was just saying the agreements hold japan hostage. And I never said Japan didn’t want to be pacifist. I was talking about them having more control and freedom over their own affairs.

The military protection is always used as a cudgel to make Japan behave in ways it may not want to. For example, there is a lot of entanglement with BOJ, the Fed and Wall street here. The Fed demands Japan remain in sync with its policies which often ends up hurting japan’s economy. We have literally been pressuring them to manage their interest rates in sync with ours even if that isn’t the best policy for what Japan’s economy needs. Just as one example. I do believe Japan wants more freedom not just with regards to their own military but also their economy while still maintaining the alliance and pacifist stance.

1 Like

I had no idea we were doing any of this. Our government is such a bully, so I shouldn’t be surprised. I might not be able to contribute a whole hell of a lot to these discussions, but I sure learn a ton!

2 Likes

I’m sure the BOJ pays attention to the Fed and Wall Street, but I don’t see their policies being dictated by the US. The interest rates don’t line up at all. Part of it is them trying to combat a decade of deflation, which has resulted in negative interest rates at times. Our home loan has an interest rate of 0.5%, for example.

I feel that Japan’s economic policies are typically neoliberal and benefit the wealthy elite, just as they do in the US. The depressed yen has attracted a ton of foreign investment, and the stock portfolios of the politicians have benefited as a result. Hard to be against something that’s making you even richer. Reading the English language Japan Times is eye-roll inducing. When talking about stimulating the economy, they’re at a loss for what can be done besides more business mergers and stock investment.

The good(?) news is that it’s starting to hurt small to medium businesses due to the high cost of raw material imports, which means politicians are going to start losing elections if they don’t do something about it.

Thats ok. I know people in USA don’t know much about foreign policy. And I believe that is on purpose else we would be raging mad at everything we do. Last time people were involved was during the Vietnam war and they put so much pressure on the government that they had to pass a war powers act. Not something the govt or the defence contractors particularly liks

2 Likes

if you are asusming Fed chair walks in with a Katana to bully BOJ , then sure that doesn’t happen. But like I said, trade and military presence are always used as cudgels to make them do what we want. So sure. go ahead and twist it. And yes, the corporations (many of them trading with USA and Canada) have their own interests but often those interests are antithetical to what the Fed wants. That is what is strange about BOJ’s actions. They don’t align with market pressures of their own country most of the times

1 Like

What am I twisting? I’m telling you my observations based on the last 22 years living here. The Japanese market (and corporations) love the BOJ’s “free money” policy. They can take out loans that are either free or actually pay them to take them out.

Not sure what you mean about corporate interests being antithetical to what the Fed wants, considering the Fed is run by the banks.

Also, I wouldn’t make the assumption about the katana. Unless the Fed chair is a racist. :wink:

I am sorry, but I am also pointing out observations only. as just one example, Japan wanted to keep rates low because it helps them with their exports and helps to “inflate awa the debt”. However, the Fed pressured them to raise the rates to reduce their market share. Hence what fed wanted was antithetical to their business interests and national interests. Are we seriously going to pretend that Plaza accord never happened? Why is it so hard for people to accept that we weaponise trade and currency? Attack various economies and then blame them for doing it to themselves. It is typical bully and racist behavior.

1 Like