Let's Not Forget the 14 Million in Sudan

Hope is action while optimism is passive. I don’t want to hear about optimism - there’s absolutely no reason for it. Hope, on the other hand, ah, hope. Hope implies that someone is doing something and it really should be the one who claims to have hope.

Where am I going with this? (You might ask if you are reading because of the title.)

I am approaching hopelessness. The more we do to alleviate suffering, the more the sick minds of oppressors and their capitalist puppet masters act to cause even more suffering. And I wonder if we (those of us working to heal the world) are falling into some trap we don’t see?

Is it this? Is it that some of us focus on one conflict (be it war or an attack on the planet itself) disregarding everything else? I know some will say “well, we can’t deal with everything all at once.” That may be true, but that is what is holding back progress.

Here’s an analogy: The local dam has given way. Your house is flooding. So you block up the first floor so water can’t get in. But outside the water rises; then presses against the windows cracking them and now the water rushes in. So you block the stairs to the second floor. Only the water keeps rising… But also, the water is rushing past and now your house is unstable. So it collapses. As you are pulled into the swirling, rushing water you see all your neighbors’ homes wrecked and going under just like your house. The only way to have saved your house (not to mention the rest of them) would have been to make sure the dam was maintained in good repair.

I’ll stop now because either no one’s reading or someone is and by now has something to say in reply.

2 Likes

Sometimes I feel like trying to make our world a better place is like being on the Titanic and saying, “Don’t worry, I have a can of Flex Seal!” While I’ve been on a sort of bed rest due to health issues*, I am trying to remind myself of the importance of joy. A podcast with special guest Ross Gay was the first post of a Substack I just started to follow, The On Being Project, and it sort of helped me remember a few things I’ve been forgetting. With everything going on in the world, we owe it to ourselves to find joy wherever and whenever we can. We owe it to those who have lost their lives, so the joy they have spread may continue. And we owe it to those whose lives are just beginning, so they can see why life is always worth living and fighting for.

https://www.substack.com/@onbeing

*I found out a few years ago that I have Fibromuscular Dysplasia, which makes my peripheral arteries twist, dissect, narrow, and basically go wonky. This has led to about a dozen surgeries, a handful of heart issues, a couple of stubborn aneurysms, and recently critically high blood pressure.

2 Likes