Media war hawks

Okay I have a conspiracy theory but I promise it’s rooted in some sort of logic- what if the media is intentionally & increasingly reporting these military actions that are typically things not really reported on like countries spying/balloons /NFOs & what not in order to sway the public narrative when it comes to justifying the insane defense budget? Idk im finding it hard to believe that Americans can actually care about these balloons

4 Likes

I like your theory but I don’t think their intention is to justify the defense budget. Most people think that we should be spending this much from what I found. My first thought is for support for a Cold War with China but then UFO part doesn’t fit. To make Biden look tough?Military and National Defense | Gallup Historical Trends

1 Like

Just saw Cenk and Ana posted a segment on YouTube with exactly that idea.

2 Likes

I don’t think the spy balloon fiasco was fabricated, but I do think they intentionally chose to inform the public about it, rather than keep mum. Now, they’re reporting on the spy balloon program and garnering headlines. Maybe they saw an opportunity from the event to sculpt a narrative.

In the process they get to display our military strength and imply that this administration keeps us safe. It’s a ruse, but that’s how they roll in DC. It’s possible that nothing is different from before and they are only talking about it now to make Biden seem decisive and in control.

However, my theory sounds too much like a House of Cards episode with it’s over the top plot lines so I’m not sure if it holds water. Would past administration have chosen to say nothing? It’s curious that out of the blue, the sky is full of balloons. I think they were already there.

The Chinese government took responsibility for the balloon that we shot down off of South Carolina, it’s doubtful that we’d be sending them up and then shooting them down. There are more efficient methods of propaganda, but I am just extrapolating with almost no information.

I’m just riffing off your theory and know very little about spy balloons. I am about to watch today’s show (2.13.23), so maybe I’ll learn more there and I hope I’m not being redundant or unwittingly ignorant.

Yes! I literally screamed when they began to theorize this. I thought I was going crazy with how many headlines said, “American people are worried about a balloon” so I began to think of reasons

2 Likes

I was completely wrong about every bit of speculation I made in my last post. I’ll take that as a lesson to think through things a little more before responding.

1 Like

Really?? I thought more & more Americans are becoming more anti-war. I’ve seen recently how much people (not the administration or mainstream media) but progressives have expressed how outrageous the defense budget is. Even the Republican base is becoming more anti-war

1 Like

As a veteran, many of us are very anti war and understand profiteering is the game

2 Likes

I think that there is a difference in people’s minds between anti-war and national defense spending. They are against war but fear other countries bringing war to us if we don’t spend a bunch on defense. I put a link to the poll in the first one. This is just my thoughts.

1 Like