Operation Bliss #TeamJoy

I love your acronym, very inspiring. Time to look for some HAQS of my own! :grin:

1 Like

I think a huge part of this that will make it a success is if we can build a community here. On the show tonight Cenk you talked about creating a kind of cycle of happiness by thinking about gratitude and sharing it. I think if we can do that, share it here, read comments and write them to others, we can make a snowball effect of choosing joy ( well it’s Spring, so how about a beachball effect instead?) :grin:

1 Like

I’m going to check out their vids. I need some positive news. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

On the 28th of this month, I will turn 45. It will also be the 5 year anniversary of my father’s death. I was very close to my father - every year it gets easier, but I still miss him. When he died, I inherited all of his guitars and equipment. I was already an accomplished musician (piano, organ, drums, voice) and enjoyed playing and singing with my dad, but had never picked up the guitar, even though he had wanted me to do so. After his death, I decided to pick up the bass and teach myself how to play (with the help of my husband, who is also a very accomplished musician). It was much easier than I thought and I’m actually pretty damn good. I regret that I did not do it before my dad died, but every time I pick up my guitar, I think of my dad and how proud he would be, and it makes me happy. Instead of letting my grief overwhelm me, I chose to focus that emotion on doing something that would honor my dad’s memory by doing something he always wanted me to do. Not only has that choice helped me heal, but it has brought joy to me and my family.

9 Likes

This is beautiful! How would you feel about it being shared on TYT on the show?

1 Like

As long as it is anonymous, it would be okay. I don’t want my son to face any more repercussions over this.

3 Likes

Get happy by helping other people:

For me, and for lots of other people I’ve talked to, the fastest path to happiness is by doing something to help someone else. Even if it’s a small act, it will help lift your day knowing you made the world a little brighter. And you never know how big an impact it might make in their life.

20 years ago I was on the streets, and I had completely given up. I was on my way to step in front of a bus, when I ran into someone I knew who was also on the streets. He said I looked terrible, and gave me $5 which in 2003 was enough to get fast food, and have a couple dollars left to pay to sleep in the day shelter, which I desperately needed after days unable to sleep because of cops always chasing us off.

That one small act of kindness saved my life, and my career now is one of helping others every day through Human Services, getting them the government benefits they need. I’ve never been happier after starting this job, and you will be too if you make a conscious effort to help others.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your struggles with depression, and I am so happy you found a good care team and plan! If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of music do you make? I, too, feel like I found TYT at the right time. I wish you all the best. :blush:

1 Like

I really like that Cancel Super Pacs model for collaborating with content creators.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for the link, and so that you know, you have a great voice and accent!

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your birthday has much joy and that you let those who love you care for you on such a difficult day. The 28th is also my dad’s birthday, so I will be thinking of you. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Wow, that is amazing, and I’m glad you’re still here!

Thank you Andréa and thanks for responding! I am a songwriter/guitar player and sort-of singer. One of my favorite genres is dream pop/shoegaze. Favorite bands are The Sundays, Belly, Catherine Wheel, Tori Amos, and I am a diehard Swiftie :grin: How about you?

2 Likes

:heart: Thank you! Having an amazing community like the TYT community to help us when we are feeling down is also something that brings me joy. :hugs:

4 Likes

Hello all, it’s been a while since the last time I was on here. I wanted so bad to do this earlier in the month but you know… life happens.

My story is HUGE (which I will put on another trend for those few who would like to know.) So I’ll just stick to Operation Bliss for this post.

My #TeamJoy story is when I met Cenk himself. In 2018 I became homeless; although I work a full-time job as a Senior Typist Clerk for LA County at Children Services. Living in California it’s getting harder to live on your own unless you have a REALLY high-paying job for which I don’t have. For the first month I had to use the toilet at my job to bathe at 7am (when the office opens) and I don’t know if you ever had to wash yourself with ice cold toilet water before but if you had you know what a nightmare that can be but… Moving forward…

Dealing with homelessness eats away at you both physically and mentally which is why many of the homeless have mental health issues themselves. I already had Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) even before the homelessness due to my heart failure back in 2009 which lead to a heart transplant in 2013 and almost died of pneumonia in 2016.

Fast forward to 2019… My twin brother grew sick in December and needed a heart transplant and I was the only person here that could take care of him while he was recovering. Between work, homelessness, failing at being a father because of my situation, heath, and taking care of my brother I was beginning to crack and thoughts of suicide seemed like the only answer. Following TYT since 2015 I see Cenk is running for office and something in me wanted to do all I could to see this man go to the House.

Cenk was running in California’s 25th district which is located in the Antelope Valley, my job is located in Lakewood CA and my brother was located and Ceder’s Sinai Hospital which is located in Beverly Hills. I would normally sleep in the parking lot of my job but at the time I would either sleep in my brother’s room or in the Ceder’s Sinai parking lot.

A supporter was hosting a rally/meet-n-great at their home in Santa Clarita which is around 60 miles from the hospital and about 80 miles from Lakewood. Hungry, tired and mentally broken, I decided to go. Fighting rush hour traffic, I arrived at the location 15 minutes before Cenk’s arrival and this was my first time meeting a lot of the TYT community and there was pizza!!! So already I’m in bliss then Cenk shows up with Steve Oh and his beautiful wife and kids.

3 Likes

As usually Cenk gives a powerful speech explaining why he’s running and so on then takes the time to meet and talk to everyone there, I had a wonderful conversation with Wendy (Cenk’s wife) because she was a former social worker for children service and even work in one of the offices, I worked at so that was awesome. Then I met his kids (Pro and Joy) who are just all kinds of adorable and Joy is a year older than my daughter then I finally met Cenk face to face. As I shook his hand he took the time to listen to my story and answered all my questions, I got to take a picture with Cenk before he left and probably had the best meal of my life at the time filling up on pizza, salad, soda and laughter I was good to go and drove back to the hospital.

2 days later I’m with my brother and I get a phone call from Cenk! The first thing he asked me was “how’s your brother doing?” this was bliss moment #2. With everything going on he really didn’t have to take the time to call. We had another great conversation and I told him no matter what I would do all I could to help. In one of the final weekends of volunteering I went to his campaign HQ, talked with Cenk a bit before he left and regrouped with some folks. It kind of turned into a speech by accident but listening to me which was nuts. The looks on their faces showed me that they were taking in what I was saying; that was bliss moment #3. After speaking I sat back down and one gentleman leaned to me and said “at some point you should run for something” but I just laughed it off saying who’s going to vote for a homeless man?

I never told anyone this for the longest time but then shared this on the main show one day in a comment where I thanked Cenk for his courage to run stating how grateful I was for meeting him during his run. Before that night I was strongly considering ending my life and might have done it if I didn’t go. So when I say Cenk and TYT saved my life they REALLY saved my life… in more ways than one.

That’s my story of bliss, I’m sorry it took so long and would you believe that’s just a small piece of my overall story? I won’t bore you with the details (believe me I know you’re saying to yourself this was more than enough enough)

Bottomline is that you can find bliss even in the most impossible situations, sometimes it just takes a random spark to burn the fire that’s in all of us. So open yourself to every possibility that comes to you no matter how big or small. Say hi to a stranger, smile at a cashier next time you’re shopping, hug a family member or friend or simply think about the last thing that made you laugh

or if you’re lucky like me and ever get the opportunity to meet one of the greatest heroes of your life then find out exactly why they’re your hero in the first place and go for it!

9 Likes

We also have new Channel over in the TYT Official Discord; #teamjoy ( Discord ), that is dedicated to these stories for anyone who would like to see more of these great stories.

3 Likes

Let me start by saying you are way cooler than I am! (Not that that is saying much. :joy:) From everything you said, I only know the Sundays and Tori Amos. I adore both. Given that, I’m convinced your music is fantastic! Oh, duh, I just got Swiftie. :woman_facepalming: I like a bit of everything from Billie Holiday to the Indigo Girls, from Cat Stevens to Aerosmith, from Adele to Kendrick Lamar, and almost everything in between. Now, I will ask my exceedingly cool daughter what everything else you wrote means. :blush:

3 Likes

What a beautiful story! I’m so glad that you are still here to tell it. You are an inspiration. :heart:

1 Like