Organize Demonstrations

I have no idea how to do this, as I’ve never organized something like this. But what do you all think about organizing against what is happening in Gaza right now? Are there any going on? I feel like the ones we had even during Covid would send a clear message right now.

If there’s not I’d like to help organize one.

3 Likes

@jared123456 started a discussion with a link to a show you might find interesting.

My apologies for not checking in sooner :turtle:
@drea_m_r_76 , do you recall which link you suggest @angry_jedi might find interesting?

1 Like

I should have been more specific, sorry. I will look for it. :woman_facepalming:

It was Chris Hedge’s interview with Vincent Bevins, author of If We Burn: The Mass Protest Decade and the Missing Revolution. It is a great interview. The book might help show what has and has not worked regarding protests and movements—just a thought.

3 Likes

I love Chris Hedge, that sounds like a timely book to read.

2 Likes

Thanks @drea_m_r_76 :turtle:

@angry_jedi , here is that thread:

2 Likes

Democracy Now has been covering some recent war protests at universities. I appreciated this recent brief segment, especially with Cornel West featured in solidarity:

@angry_jedi, are any university protests happening near you? Or maybe did you have something else in mind?

2 Likes

Recently I have been toying with trying to organize a national general strike. I know it’s an idea that has been floated before, but no one ever pulled the trigger. Now, I think there would be more support for this idea and we could use that leverage to spark real change. The Revoluton that has been missing.

I’m for dramatic action at this point. We need to shale people of their apathy.

1 Like

I think a major aspect of the systemic political establishment is how they maintain a just enough “balance” of social welfare in our collapsing imperial economy, such that most people are not similarly so ready for dramatic action, (as you, @angry_jedi). Eventually the approaching crescendo of crisis will move enough people to be so ready, but will people then be already organized enough to be politically effective?

And, here is a video essay on some of this:

2 Likes

@jared123456 I get that. I’ve been ready for a while. I have a plan that is less dramatic only in the sense that it slow rolls it. It would involve setting up a for profit business (for something innocuous like say entertainment), which would then fund a nonprofit housing initiative.

This nonprofit would sell the homes at cost. The homes would be built in a sustainably ecologically sound way, using concrete dome style homes. To give you an idea of the cost, we’re talking a family of 5 purchasing this at cost home for around 90K.

These homes would also be equiped with solar panel domes. There is a company in Idaho that has a produt that would be very useful. Solar Roadways.

This alone could set people up to get out of survival mode which would then prep them to truly take action. With concrete being less expensive and more ecologocal, this would also help push back against deforestation and climate change.

In a sense, I want to use capitalism to destroy capitalism.

2 Likes

@jared123456

Plus, the business, if successful, could fund more activist actions and support those who need it in the event of such actions as a general strike.

Setting up vertical farms in the communities built by the nonprofit would be able to sell healthy food at cost to the community. Something the business could fund as well. The idea is to show what efficiency is so that eventually the housing nonprofit, vertical farm, and hell, even the business, gets taken over by the people to run, not an individual or shareholders in the traditional sense.

It all builds up. By building a community like this we can set ourselves up for this chage and action.

1 Like

General Strike: https://generalstrikeus.com/

3 Likes

I would suspect a hempcrete home could come in at around half that price.

2 Likes

I like that.

2 Likes

I am working on a 3d print version but it is long term thing.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that link to general strike here :turtle:

2 Likes