Recipe Exchange

Let’s use this space for TYT foodies who want to exchange interesting recipes. I’ll start first. This is a recipe for Brown Buttercream Frosting. This recipe seems simple, but it takes a few tries to get the texture right. It is a perfect addition to your favorite cake recipes.

**Recipe

• 1 ½ cups unsalted butter
  • Tiny pinch fine sea salt
  • 1 ½ pounds powdered sugar 24 ounces; sifted
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream or milk

In a saucepan over medium heat, brown the butter per the instructions on how to brown butter. Once browned, pour the butter into a bowl and let cool completely at room temperature, for at least an hour. Butter will solidify but will not harden.

Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or to a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer. Add the salt and powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. The mixture will come together as you mix.

Add the vanilla and the milk or cream; mix on low speed until incorporated, then increase speed to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes, until the frosting is light and fluffy.

If the frosting is too thick, add in a bit of milk, one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.

Personally, I make this frosting with a mocha chocolate cake that make around the holidays. But I hear that it goes well with lemon cake as well. Try it out and report back here with your thoughts.

Drop your favorite recipes in here as well.

2 Likes

Ooooh, I am going to love this!

There is also the :stew:feed-me channel over in Discord

2 Likes

Today I experimented with a sourdough discard batter for cod fillet.
1/2 C cold sourdough discard
spices (I used salt free curry powder, paprika, turmeric, and salt)
a couple soup spoons of pecorino romano (grated)
a small handful of matzah panko
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (approx)
a fish fillet
Mix the first four items well in a largish mixing bowl. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add hot temperature oil (I used grapeseed oil) to cover bottom of pan. Test readiness by dropping a tiny amount of the batter into pan and if it sizzles you’re ready.

Add the baking powder and stir. Give it a moment to expand the batter. Dredge / dunk /etc the fillet in the batter. Set in pan and don’t move it! Saute / fry for two minutes. It should then be easy to move the fish and flip it to the other side. Cook another minute or two.

It came out pretty good, actually.

4 Likes

Sourdough cod batter? That sounds delicious.

1 Like

Try it! I use King Arthur (organic when I can afford it) AP flour for both my sourdough starters and all my baking. I really do think there’s a flavor difference.

The mix of spices is yummy too. I don’t give amounts for that because spicing is too subjective! I think also a touch of dried chili pepper my be nice, if someone wanted to try that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I have a recipe for these but for fun I ran it through ChatGPT it sounds way better then the version I make.

Sure, here’s a classic recipe for vegetable pakoras:

Vegetable Pakoras Recipe

Ingredients:

• For the Pakoras:

• 1 cup gram flour (besan)
    • 1/4 cup rice flour (optional, for extra crispiness)
    • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
    • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    • 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
    • 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 cup water (adjust as needed for batter consistency)
    • 1 large potato, thinly sliced
    • 1 onion, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 cup spinach leaves, chopped
    • 1/2 cup cauliflower florets, small
    • 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped (optional)
    • Fresh coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
  • For Frying:

• Oil for deep frying

Instructions:

1. Prepare the Batter:

• In a mixing bowl, combine the gram flour (besan) and rice flour.
    • Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, cumin seeds, carom seeds, salt, and baking soda.
    • Gradually add water to the dry ingredients, whisking to form a smooth, thick batter. The consistency should be thick enough to coat the vegetables well.
  2. Add the Vegetables:

• Add the thinly sliced potatoes, onions, spinach, cauliflower florets, green chilies, and chopped coriander leaves to the batter.
    • Mix well to ensure all the vegetables are evenly coated with the batter.
  3. Heat the Oil:

• Heat oil in a deep frying pan or kadai over medium-high heat. The oil should be sufficiently hot but not smoking. You can test by dropping a small bit of batter into the oil; it should sizzle and rise to the surface gradually.
  4. Fry the Pakoras:

• Carefully drop spoonfuls of the batter-coated vegetables into the hot oil, ensuring not to overcrowd the pan.
    • Fry the pakoras until they turn golden brown and crisp on all sides, turning occasionally.
    • Use a slotted spoon to remove the pakoras from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
  5. Serve:

• Serve the pakoras hot with mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or ketchup.
    • Enjoy your delicious, crispy vegetable pakoras!

Tips:

• You can vary the vegetables according to your preference. Other good options include eggplant, bell peppers, and zucchini.
  • For extra flavor, you can add finely chopped garlic and ginger to the batter.
  • If you prefer a spicier pakora, increase the amount of green chilies or chili powder.

Enjoy making and eating your delicious pakoras!

2 Likes