Slowing down the mail system during a lethal pandemic in order to try to win a few more votes

Hi,

I realize that the brackets are already set, and I am coming late to the discussion, but I have to nominate my top idea:

Slowed down and impeded mail-in ballots during the 2020 election. I nominate it as the lowest thing I’ve seen a President do, since it involved making voters choose between
a) not exercising their right to vote
b) going to the polls in-person and increasing the risk of death to themselves and their families.
c) voting by mail and risking that their vote would not be counted.

Or, in other words, voters had to choose between the health of their families and the right to vote, just so Trump could get a few more votes. Trump was willing to kill people in order to get a few more votes, and I’m guessing an epidemiologist would be able to come up with an estimate for us of how many extra people died in order to vote in-person, and how many voters either chose not to vote or had their votes not counted in voting by mail.

Important note: this claim is disputed. Trump’s postmaster general at the time claimed everything would be back up to speed for the election. I do not believe this actually happened, but I want to acknowledge that the claim is disputed and I think indeed some votes were delayed and may not have been counted, while in other cases voters realized what was going on, or what the threat of a delayed ballot meant, and took the risk to their health and families of going directly to the polls.

2 Likes