Team Stages: What we are going through

Tuckman’s Teamwork Theory

First developed in 1965, Tuckman’s model is widely known as a basis for effective team building1. Tuckman’s model recognizes that groups do not start off fully-formed and functioning. He suggests that teams grow through clearly defined stages, from their creation as groups of individuals, to cohesive, task-focused teams.

Tuckman’s Teamwork Theory

The Four Stages

Tuckman identified four common stages that groups evolve into teams:

• Forming: The initial stage of team development during which individuals have not yet gelled together. Everybody is busy finding their place in the team, sizing each other up, and asking themselves why they are here.
  • Storming: People begin to see themselves as part of a team. However, at this stage, they may challenge each other, and the team leader, about such things as what the team is doing, and how things should be done.
  • Norming: This stage is characterized by increasing levels of solidarity, interdependence, and cohesiveness, while simultaneously making an effort to adjust to the team environment.
  • Performing: The team has now settled its relationships and expectations. They can now begin performing, working together towards a common goal.
Beyond Tuckman’s Model

Beyond Tuckman’s Model

While Tuckman’s model is highly influential and widely used, it’s important to note that team development isn’t always linear, and teams may oscillate between different stages.

Understanding these stages of team development can help us create effective strategies for team building and performance improvement.

The milestone for Dec 5th is on review: We are gaining consensus so we can move to performing stage.

Source: happymanager.com

3 Likes

I am going to spend some time on this one good find. I think this maybe source material for other work I have found.

1 Like

I feel like we’ve only started forming, though.

2 Likes

I agree too. Let me update in accordance

1 Like