Ten Commandments in Louisiana Schools

3 Likes

This is a great cartoon!

Its just another example of politicians solving fake problems to convince their base that they’re actually doing something.

3 Likes

It might be more sinister than that. They’re creating friction and deepening divides between people who might otherwise agree on policies that help average citizens. It keeps us busy against each other while the corporate control runs roughshod over our rights.
I’m not a religious person, but it really hurts my heart to see people of the same faith hating each other because they were misled.

4 Likes

Wow! Devastatingly accurate>

1 Like

:fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

I think it’s also to give the impression that they are doing something to combat their extremely low standing in the county regarding their school rankings. Let’s fire the bad teachers and put God back in schools. Unfortunately, this seems like an effective and appropriate response to the loud, ignorant masses who are so effective in creating change. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

In Tennessee they’re already required to put up “In God We Trust” in each school (I haven’t seen it at my daughter’s school so imo they must have put it someone out of sight on purpose, lol). The Bible is our official state book. It wouldn’t surprise me if they try to put the Ten Commandments up too. And this Supreme Court is unlikely to stop Louisiana or anyone else from doing it.

2 Likes

It might be more sinister than that. They’ve already put cops in the schools, they’re already grabbing school vouchers for their kids, now they’re making education an arbitrary term. Much like the Normal schools we are giving wealthy evangelicals with no vested interest in the wellbeing of an estranged populous the power to say what to believe and brutally punish dissent.

Sources:
[The UK Independent - texas-school-district-libraries-detention-centres-b2384727.html]
[nea[dot]org - no-accountability-vouchers-wreak-havoc-states]
[pbs[dot]org - oklahoma-education-head-discusses-why-hes-mandating-public-schools-teach-the-bible]

4 Likes

I recently saw these two videos and wanted to share with y’all:

Why The US South Is Insanely Religious (for learnings)

How to Teach the Bible in Oklahoma’s Public Schools (for funnsies)

2 Likes

The first video is very interesting and brings up a lot of great points. While it does show many factors leading to the differences in religion between the North and South, unfortunately, it makes it sound like religion in the South was open to all people equally as long as they believed, basically adds slavery as a footnote, and only mentions the Bible being used to justify slavery from 1870-1875. Since Colonizers first kidnapped people from Africa and enslaved them in the early 1600s in what is now the U.S., the Bible has been used to justify slavery (not to mention justifying the genocide of Native Americans). I believe that is a big part of why religion is still more prevalent in the South today because it is still used to justify slavery and racism and for its enduring ability to effectively control the masses. The second video is spot on!

4 Likes

Great insights! TY.

1 Like

Please keep posting videos and posts. (And please know that my comments are in no way criticisms towards you!) It is always fun to learn about history and to be able to find a throughline from the past to today. :heart:

No offense taken over here. :slight_smile:

1 Like