Vocabulary and proper labeling on voting ballots

I’d like to start a conversation on how we can amend the vocabulary on voting ballots to go straight to the point ask yes or no questions as well as have candidates labeled properly like they used to do in the past with their party affiliation. In the last few elections I’ve seen little old ladies asking for clarification on what questions mean and what party affiliation is a certain candidate. Thoughts on how to accomplish this and actually get it done?

1 Like

What a great idea! In healthcare, when creating patient-facing material (it’s so funny to me that they call it that) the language used must be simple so a vast majority of people can fully understand it. It’s recommended that whatever is presented be readable at no higher than a 6th or 8th-grade level. This should absolutely also apply to, for lack of a better term, voter-facing material.

1 Like

I have found myself looking candidates up on my phone to see what party affiliation they have because it was excluded.

My fear especially with questions about issues that are so vital today like abortion is that if a question to eliminate it is read wrong, people that don’t understand the question will agree.

We need to have clear concise verbiage that everyone will understand.

If anyone can initiate this it would be a great service to voters.

1 Like