We need a video search function on the site that can find videos by topic

So basically retrofitting the youtube channel itself to contain tags in their descriptions that allow the site to automatically categorize and make searchable every video by topic and contents would be a GARGANTUAN task and i’m not really asking for that, not now. Maybe we could do that later, but from now on, it would be possible to make all videos more easily accessible by everyone by topic by just creating a database.
We can’t rely on youtube to provide this function for us anymore. They aren’t fair. They don’t want to benefit us. They want to keep us as desperate profit making organs glued to their side.

It should be possible to come to tyt.com, go to the video search bar and type in a word or a topic and get all the videos tyt ever made about that. We should be able to build that as a database very easily.

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting the full searchable database function for a long while. Unfortunately TYT is pressed to a critical point right now, and the people who help make and distribute their content are pushing super hard just to stay afloat. Hosting a database of that size is probably pretty expensive. I’m sure that soon YouTube will have more powerful AI in the search function, might be able to recognize subject without the specific phrases being used, but you’re not wrong about their filtering and content control.
Cenk addressed us using TYT content, and made it clear that we’re free to take clips and upload them. I had hoped to see more people answering this with a flood of some excellent points made and discussions had on the show. There are probably people doing this on YouTube and other platforms, but I can’t spend time searching.
If I can get to a place where I feel like there’s some security for my family I’ll learn to do some video editing and start clipping, but that’s currently unattainable. If you have free time, a halfway decent phone or computer, and a good internet connection I recommend you try researching it a little. Not the same as a fully searchable database of content, but can get much needed exposure for things that you found compelling.
Good luck!

1 Like

It’s not just about it being nice to have. It’s a business investment. EVERYONE needs the ability to say “hey, TYT covered this, here’s the link” in a flash during an argument or discussion. That will drive huge amounts of revenue to TYT that currently have no way of getting because it’s impossible to easily find things and send them to people.

If we want to make TYT a dominant news organization, we need the ability to easily spread videos. Youtube USED to take this function off the table for us, but now they don’t and if you don’t invest in doing it nobody is going to do it for you and you will have a permanent disadvantage against more professional news outlets.

3 Likes

You’re so right on all counts! I’ve also wanted it for a long time. Like Cenk will be like “you can search this video” and it’s like HOW CENK? The website - and community - would benefit so much for this

1 Like