Wild Horse Roundups

I’ve come across Operation Hope through the town halls and it is nice seeing people around the US and hearing different perspectives and backgrounds. It’s very refreshing and nice.

Today I am here to discuss the tragic and brutal roundups of American wild horses that have been happening in the western United States for many decades.

TODAY

• 1. Each year, the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) uses low-flying helicopters to brutally stampede, capture, and remove wild horses and burros by the thousands from Western public lands.

• 2. Wild horses and burros who survive roundups are stockpiled in government holding facilities. Those who can’t be adopted or auctioned off are sentenced to a lifetime of being warehoused in long-term holding facilities. At worst, wild horses end up in the slaughter pipeline.

• 3. Approximately 80 million taxpayer dollars fund this mismanaged program, annually.
The BLM(Bureau of Land Management) is highly influenced by the commercial livestock industry that views wild horses as competition for cheap, taxpayer-subsidized grazing on public lands.

WHATS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW

• 1. Wyoming’s North Lander herds are first on its list. Today through Aug. 14, the BLM targets :exclamation: 2,766 of the 2,800 mustangs :exclamation: that roam the North Lander Complex. That is nearly ALL of the Complex’s wild horses—jeopardizing the herd’s existence and pushing it to the brink of extinction.

• 2. These 2,800 mustangs live on a vast 375,000 acres of land in the North Land Complex, sharing it with 24,715 privately owned sheep and cattle.

OTHER TRAGIC FUTURE EVENTS

• 1. The BLM ( Bureau of Land Management) approves a land use plan amendment that would eliminate 2.1 million acres of wild horse habitat in Wyoming and slash by one-third the allowed population of wild horses in the state by:

• 2. ZERO OUT (WHICH MEANS ERADICATE THEM ALL) the Salt Wells Creek and Great Divide Basin Herd Management Areas (HMA). In places that are popular destinations for wild horse tourism, every single wild horse would be removed.

• 3. SLASHING the size of the Adobe Town HMA by approximately half and reducing the wild horse population to well below the 1,338 wild horses that the BLM(Bureau of Land Management) previously determined to be at a “thriving natural ecological balance” with other uses of the land.

• 4. The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) WILL EFFECTIVELY ELIMINATE OVER 50 PERCENT OF WILD HORSES IN WYOMING.

• 5. America has failed our wildlife in so many different ways and we always regret it over time just like when the US eradicated all the wolves.

• 6. The mustang is the spirit of the west. Whether that west was won or lost in the end you’ll have to decide that for yourself. It’s ironic that the BLM ( Bureau of Land Management) who is supposed to look out for them does the exact opposite, they want to eradicate and destroy them for profit.

1 Like

Oh my, that’s horrible! It makes me think of the bison, too. Is there anything we can do?