Did you notice? #OperationJoy

About Wednesday’s #OperationJoy

Did you notice that the week’s assignment was so powerful that didn’t allow space for discussing the new assignment? although, to be honest, there is overlapping between the two (judging by the video’s title). I am beyond eager for next week’s discussion.

So touching stories were shared, and I could tell one of the impacts of TYT in my life since I was so familiar with 2 of Ana’s positions and 1 of Cenk’s in regard to what was being shared.

But I am here to discuss how Cenk was right, as I said before, [QUOTE].

Cenk is right in more than 1 way about #choosingyourperspective.

I will start with the first one, although it is the last one to be written. I’ll keep it short since I will be writing just an opinion that I had in the back of my head for a while and will provide a link for the rest since they can be treated as different topics… or at least I think that will somehow be more organized(?)

• Musically: The song “Everybody Hurts” is most of the times, if not always, portrayed as a sad song… and, granted, in terms of melody, it sounds sad. But the lyrics is just a reminder of a comforting reality: Life is not supposed to be of bliss or happiness 100% of the time and that sometimes we, by necessity (unless you are born privileged and even that doesn’t guarantee), we are bound to have those moments (that is why “…sometimes…” is used. That’s the perspective I choose when listening to that song, while enjoying how melancholic it sounds (I am one of those).

Not to mention that there are songs that sound happy but have a dark lyrical background. So yes, Musically: #Cenkwasright

• Linguistically
  • Practical Terms (And the benefit for mental health) [Placeholder: Link]
  • Cause-Effect (Even onthologically(?)): [Placeholder: Link]
4 Likes

Regarding changing my perspective, I graduated from high school in ‘83 and took a gap year. I went to U of Iowa in ‘84. I was the first one in my family to go to college. I got pregnant in ‘86 and had my son in ‘87. I tried to continue my studies but being a single mother, it was too difficult to continue. I didn’t think I’d ever be able to go back, but when my son went to college, I went back to school. I received a BA in Psychology and graduated suma cum laude. I then went on to study for my Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology. I was doing really well, unfortunately, a year into my studies, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was in class one day and I was sitting there and my brain fog made me realize I could no longer take in information. I then had to go on disability. I was very depressed about that and felt somewhat of a failure. I had plans to be a professor of abnormal psychology and that dream was taken away from me. After I understood that it was not my fault that I couldn’t continue with my career goals, I did understand that I had the ability to sit down with family/friends who need advice or a shoulder, I can sit and listen to them and, if asked, give advice and comfort. That made me realize I could use the skills I learned and help people, which makes me happy that I can still help people in some way. #teamjoy

7 Likes

Congratulations, summa cum lauda is no joke–and neither is Fibromyalgia! Well, abnormal psychology might come in handy with the group we have here. :wink: In all seriousness, though, I am glad you found a way to use your talents not only to help others but to also realize your value and worth. My heart is with you on your journey. Thank you for sharing such an inspirational story on the value of perspective and adaptability. :heart:

2 Likes