How did you find TYT?

Wonderful! Thank so much for joining our activist team. All the best with your surgery and recovery. :hugs:

1 Like

I lost my job after 20 years in August 2016 (the week of my 20th anniversary with the company). I had to cut out expenses by cancelling my cable. As such, I had to start watching whatever I could find on the internet. Somehow, I just happened across TYT and have been watching ever since. I was amazed to find a news show that echoed my values and beliefs. I was further amazed to find out about things that were going on that I had no clue was happening. It’s how I found out about DAPL. I was never that conscious of politics until I started watching TYT and now I can’t stop thinking about. I even participated in my first protest a few years back for the immigrant families coming to the US who were having their children taken away. I had to do something as it was just a horrific thing for us to do. Now I’m all up into the TYT Army. TYT opened my eyes and offered me the opportunity to do something about it, however small or large that may be. I have a purpose! And by the way, the people are great!

5 Likes

What a great testimony to how important independent news is. That’s a really encouraging story. Thanks for sharing! Sorry about the loss of your job. I hope things have gotten better for you. I am sure glad, though, that you found some light in that darkness because now we have the pleasure of knowing you and you’ve made quite the difference in our community!

2 Likes

hi. I guess it was about two years ago. I was watching late night show clips on youtube (Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, … ) to improve my English, and youtube eventually suggested clips from TYT channel to me. Cenk’s enthusiasm and genuineness brought me in. And John’s damage report has kept me here (sorry Cenk :grimacing: I can’t take too much bad news, johns more fun!). Now I’m pretty much addicted to Damage report :sweat_smile:. Hope more people see the care you guys have for their well-being.

I wish we could have such a free news network here in Iran too…

Good luck!

6 Likes

I am not entirely sure. I remember at the beginning of lock down, we watched mostly CNN for news on youtube TV. I would see TYT going through the stations, but didn’t know what it was about. Some one told me about Q, which sounded like trouble so I started investigating online, some times on you tube looking at the Qanon channels, and stumbled across The Damage Report. The rest is history. I had been pointedly ignoring politics since the 2000s. Now I’m paying very close attention. I had no idea Progressives even existed. I’m very grateful they do.

6 Likes

Thanks for watching from Iran! That’s incredible and we’re so happy to have you here with our community. TDR is definitely a really neat community in and of itself.

1 Like

What a great testimony of why progressive, independent news is so important! I’m constantly surprised how many people don’t know about the progressive community (I didn’t at one point either). We get so consumed in our own communities that it’s a great reminder of why sharing our messages with others should not be taken for granted. Welcome to our TYT Community!

3 Likes

To be honest, I kept seeing Cenk and Ana pop up on my You Tube Recommends a decade plus ago and laughed at the idea that these ‘You Tubers’ were ‘playing’ at being News Casters.

I remember watching the first time and I was so judgemental at how low budget it all was and thinking “wait till these kids grow up and hit the real world” (Having no clue at the Time Cenk was 10 years my senior—I was still in the Army and he looked like he was in College Still!)

Then one day I was upset at something—don’t even recall what–and there was a video of Ana going of on one of her epic Salt Rants and I clicked the bait. And what Juicy bait it was.

I don’t even remember what the issue was, but I STILL remember the feeling of righteous anger I felt with her over it! I rember thinking YEAH!!! Fuck those guys! We need to work together to make sure they don’t win!!

Watched TYT almost daily on Youtube after that till joining as a member in i think 2012 or 13. I know my profile says I joined in 2018 but that is either a new profile or member or something. Been a viewer for over a decade and a paying member for almost as long.

Obviously, at this point, I view my old self as a real ass and see Cenk, Ana, and the rest of TYT as the best thing to happen to America since FDR and Lincoln./Grant

6 Likes

Back in 2002 apple had a radio feature in the iTunes. I found a left politics ‘station’ that was playing the young Turks. I was hooked.

4 Likes

I can’t even actually remember how I found TYT. I think it was via a friend on Facebook, but I’ve been watching it since I was living in the UK back in around 2008 or 2009. I finally became a member last year.

3 Likes

What a great story!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Good ol’ ITunes… glad you found us!

1 Like

Thanks for becoming a member - we appreciate it so much - and welcome to the community!

2 Likes

As a teenager entering the political sphere of media for the first time during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, I was searching for a variety of sources I could find to get relevant, interesting, and educational information on politics. Originally, a friend suggested several far right pundits who could have led me over to the right had I not been recommended far left leaning content creators such as Vaush, HasanAbi, and others. Eventually, this led me to TYT. Now, I find this to be one of my go-to sources for news and commentary on issues I am interested in. Now, I am glad to have found more than just your YT channel, and I am excited to be more active in the political community and continue to learn!

3 Likes

Lol so I started watching Seth Myer “closer look” when the pandemic hit, then I came across a TYT video, immediately hooked! From there my personality and previous occupation in the medical field, made realize I wanted to contribute to fight/advocate for humanity and the B.S that TYT continually pointed out, which raised so many questions I had to participate.

4 Likes

Air America when TYT were the new kids on the block :laughing:

2 Likes

Hi, Alison! I contributed to your campaign even tho I’m not in CA. Would have LOVED to have had you in Congress all this time!
I think Cenk would like my origin story. I listened to NPR every morning for most of my life, but increasingly found myself YELLING at the radio every. single. day. I found TYT through some posts on FB a friend shared in 2016, and the rest was history. Been a member since then, and now I let Cenk do my yelling for me!
So wonderful to know I’m not alone politically.
BTW, my TYT name is OldestlivngMillennial for a reason. From avocado toast to student loans, I identify, although I’m in my 70s. Went to law school in my 50s. Trust me, college costs used to be MUCH cheaper.
@Alison_hartson, is there any way I can get my “name” to display here instead of my “user name”?
Anyway, so happy to be among like-minded people. Saved my sanity!

3 Likes

You said you lived in the UK. I’m getting my Irish citizenship and wondering if there’s anything like TYT in Ireland, or the UK. If Tucker Carlson becomes president, I may want to bail to Ireland but want to have a better idea of the actual political scene there before I do that. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve been listening for years now and was using the free Bezos Bucks to support the crew. After I found out about Spotify’s practices of paying their artists (brought about by the Ro-Gan Chronicles) I left and just opened a normal membership. The full episodes are so much better and I’ve been missing them for way too long. Just another mentally exhausted American, surrounded by people who refuse to embrace Nice Things.

3 Likes

Started watching the day TYT hit YouTube, 2006 I think. Had a friend that listened to Cenk tell me it was coming to YT so I checked every day till it launched. I spend most of my time now on Twitch but love all TYT Fam and Dragons. I spend every day my CTE allows me to trying to help make the :earth_americas: a better place in any way I am able.

2 Likes