How did you find TYT?

Reply to this post and tell me about yourself, or start a “topic” just like this one!

Volunteer with the TYT Army
TYT Core Values
TYT Community

4 Likes

I actually just searched progressive news and TYT was one of the first results so I tuned in to the main show that day and Ana, for the first of what would be many times, said the exact words I was thinking! I knew I’d found a new home right then.

5 Likes

I love that you were searching “progressive news.” I discovered TYT in 2013 through an organization Cenk started called Wolf-PAC. I was searching the internet for how to get money out of politics. Eventually found Wolf-PAC, and then learned about TYT. The internet can be quite a useful tool to connect us all. I’m so glad you found us and that Ana helps to represent you!

3 Likes

The Damage Report at the beginning of the pandemic. In hindsight, it must have been youtube algorithms, I never really looked up news before, mostly DiY, skill researching, Star Wars, and online shopping.
Once news hit in January last year, every day we weren’t in lockdown or even acknowledging the problem grew concerning by the day. Considering I had never even heard of TYT before, even with all the YouTube I watch, have never seen a single thumbnail before until I started searching for news about Coronavirus.
I watched for months, amazed by the amount of content and depth, little did I know TDR is but the tip of the iceberg, and TYT was claiming me like I was the Titanic.
I never used FB before, I created an account and posted 1 pic, and that was my profile since 2008. My agitation at Trump’s Administration trying to undermine the warnings of EVERY CREDIBLE MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN THE WORLD grew daily, I started using FB to vent my frustrations at the health risk. You can actually track my attention to politics with my FB posts, while I never used it before, I now use it as my activist’s journal, and I might have had something to say almost every day since the beginning of 2020. I don’t know how effective it is but I will say this, the number of likes I get does not reflect the number of people that actually read my posts. I won’t say all my friends read them, but I was surprised to find out that people do read them.
Which is surprising because most my posts on FB are at least as long as this post; which I was not expecting in the TLDR (too long didn’t read) society we find ourselves in today.
Is that progress? I guess.

7 Likes

I’m surprised your Star Wars searches didn’t send you to us. :wink: There are always more people who read than respond. We call them the silent majority, so keep at it! It’s a bitter-sweet thing that we can influence people with our Facebook posts, but I too realized that if that is the battleground, then that is where we must be. Thanks for being here, and for caring so much! It’s great to meet you.

2 Likes

Hi @ijedi, nice to meet you! That’s interesting because I also found TYT by accident thanks to YouTube’s algorithm. I almost always look at political stuff tho, so for me it made more sense I guess!

I don’t use FB for political stuff usually, because I don’t want my job or more conservative people in my family to know what I’m posting about. So except for a few people, I don’t really know a lot about the people I see in the chat with during the show.

I’m hoping TYT Community will give me a chance to actually get to know people better, and a new place to (constructively) vent about politics, lol.

4 Likes

I found TYT through Current TV in 2012 or so. I joined in 2016 after that historic night at the Republican National Convention. Thanks TYT for all you do.

4 Likes

Nice! When I first got connected with TYT by volunteering with Wolf-PAC, Cenk interviewed my on Current. I think that was in 2013. Glad we’re both still here.

4 Likes

My brother turned me on to it. He’s been a longtime viewer and Wolf-PAC volunteer. I’m a boomer veteran of the '60’s demonstrations against the Vietnam war and for Civil Rights. My politics have not changed due to my advancing years. If anything I’ve move further to the left as have most of my friends.

6 Likes

You and your friends represent the boomers well! Thank your brother for me when you can. Go Wolf-PAC!

3 Likes

I lived a very stereotypical asian American life. I grew up in the family thai restaurant bussing tables at a young age because there was nothing to do (boredom came easily in the 90’s, when TV was your only source of entertainment, there’s alot of cultural differences you wouldn’t understand unless you remember the turn of the millennium; phones meant something completely different, it’s a whole thing I don’t think the younger generation don’t fully grasp, you hear the words “dial up” but unable to comprehend what that means, but I digress).
My mom put me in violin before I hit double digits, and had to write out 2x2 to 2x12 everyday starting with 2x to 12x which I don’t know how many asian families do that, but it seems like a very asian thing to do. We also drove a red Forrester, after “Not Another Teen Movie”, it also became an asian stereotype that amplified the image.
I married a Thai woman and she replaced me as heir to the family business, I never measured up to her first generation standards, but to be fair, no one can ever meet first generation American standards except other first generation Americans. Second generation children are lazy by default because, well, we’re Americanized and will never know the rigors of our heritage. On one hand I wish I had more influence with the family business, on the other hand I grew up working the trenches and management never pays their workers enough and I don’t care if it’s standard practice, I want to pay my workers above the standard.
That rebellious talk is exactly how you lose an inheritance and I couldn’t put a lid on it, and my mother and wife, Lords of the Sith, both Master and Apprentice, are very hard to persuade that our economy is broken, and that these practices of cutting corners and keeping staff low don’t actually help the bottom line, and I’ve worked all over the restaurant industry, employees are overworked as a policy.
Pretty asian stereotype right? I hate that’s the destiny that claimed me, but you have to share that kind of story, it’s just too good.

5 Likes

Believe it or not through Facebook! I had one other friend that was a former co-worker that liked TYT. I just happened to catch Hasan’s takedown videos of Tomi Lahren, because she annoyed the crap out of me and I also had a former classmate that shared her videos in perpetuity which drove me nuts and I just knew she was insincere and lying so Hasan’s taking her to task was really enlightening.

Between Hasan’s Breakdown videos about Tomi and Francis’ videos about Kaepernick along with an extended Cenk rant about police brutality is what did it for me.

What got me to be a member though was the Damage Report, I just love John’s nerdy/quirky/fun sensibilities and the way he explained issues and news in such an easy to understand fashion, I found myself taking my lunches around TDR and chatting it up with the other folks in Twitch early last spring since I was working from home.

Soon after I became a member, I received an email about TYT Army and I decided to give it a shot. I absolutely loved it and haven’t looked back I can’t turn off my interest for politics and pushing for progressive policies that will help people who have struggled like I did not so long ago!

5 Likes

So there’s still a reason to be on Facebook after all…

I’m so glad you found us and signed up for the TYT Army! You have a lot of information in that brain of yours that has helped us out quite a bit. Thanks for doing what you do to help others. People like you give me hope!

4 Likes

A targeted advertisement during Sanders’s 2015 primary season. It was the first news show I watched that didn’t make me feel like I’d rather be pulling out my own teeth. I get distressed and anxious from propaganda.

3 Likes

So glad you’re here and it was really fun chatting with you tonight! Looking forward to next time.

2 Likes

I probably found TYT on MSNBC I do remember Bernie mentioning it. I was pulling for Bernie in 2016. When I was working I always went on nights 7-7, working 6-7 days a week, not much time to do anything. Work, sleep, repeat

4 Likes

So glad you found us. What a difference it make to recognize those who support you. Go Bernie!

2 Likes

I found it by originally searching Bernie, but it took awhile of soul searching for be to realize I was a progressive. I actually just joined recently both TYT and DSA… I’m on disability and recognized that we need safety nets in this world because anything can mess you up and knock you to the ground and not to mention corporations don’t want to do anything but make a profit for themselves! I’m a computer guy before i got disabled, I ran a small computer repair business when I couldn’t find a job. Also worked tech support for a major internet provider at one point

3 Likes

So sorry that you’re struggling. Thanks for joining our community. Feel free to join our book chat if you can! Book Chat Friday, July 23, 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT

1 Like

Thanks I joined the TYTArmy yesterday, so getting plugged in there, putting my time to good use. We will eventually be in Chicago after my weight loss surgery which will help my mobility to be active there too!

4 Likes