Operation Hope - Paid Family Leave

Reply here with your suggestions. After the community decides on the answers for all three legislative campaigns, I’ll then share it with Cenk

Original post

3 Likes

As a SBO and a woman and mother, paid family leave is very important to me. It is something I offer personally offer for both mothers and fathers. I can only afford 2 months, and would love to offer up to 3-6 months if there were tax breaks offered. I do not know if I could afford much more than that. I have to budget and plan and save in order to do what I can now. Giving small busniesses the ability to offer PFL without it putting them into financial stress is something that should be thought about. I don’t know if this is the input you are looking for, but it is what I have.

7 Likes

All input is helpful, thanks for sharing!
I don’t know about current or recent legislative actions regarding PFL, but I do know that it has repeatedly polled extremely highly among the majority of Americans across all parties. Seems like the greedy 1% holding it back even though they would benefit from it.

3 Likes

Anything we work on, like paid family leave, should not be an economic burden, especially so for small businesses. I would say, if we’re doing this right, our legislation should provide people and businesses with economic relief.

(If I may clarify some economics): Things like healthcare, family leave, human rights, housing, public transportation, etc. ought be financed with federal investment. Any such federal “deficit” spending (read: such public investments) should explicitly be said to not need a prior source of funding; such investments are sound and return to society. Some will ask how we will pay for such things; to appease this implied argument, (that such investment spending should be considered a luxury which follows taxation), is to shoot ourselves in the foot. Even if taxing the rich is a popular way one might argue to “pay for” the spending, again, that would be shooting ourselves in the foot because it perpetuates the implicit propaganda that such public investment does not already provide plenty value in return to the real economy. The propaganda conflates the logics of sound investment with luxury spending. There is obviously some qualifying nuance, but I want to keep this summary simple. (PS. contrary to popular myth, the federal deficit is basically irrelevant, and will not need to somehow be repaid).

Still, perhaps some of us would be willing to so shoot ourselves in the foot if it was needed to pass this legislation. Perhaps I would as well, but not without at least clarifying this issue here. I would suggest the left in general may still need to improve our economic literacy to be politically persuasive.

1 Like

While I had a little time this morning, I’ve been browsing for information on current programs within and outside the US. Found this article that I skimmed. Looks like it might help us get familiar with what is currently on the books in the US. IDK if this org is skewed or not. I haven’t heard of them prior to finding this article.

1 Like

So here is my attempt to integrate AI into this process please give me feedback that you have.

1. Paid Family Leave Legislation:

Title: Comprehensive Family Well-being and Workplace Harmony Act

Summary:
The Comprehensive Family Well-being and Workplace Harmony Act envisions a nationwide initiative that guarantees workers the right to paid time off for personal and family reasons. This proposed legislation recognizes the need for a systematic approach to provide financial support during critical life events, such as childbirth, adoption, or serious illness. Beyond these vital provisions, the legislation also addresses the challenges associated with outreach efforts, ensuring that the benefits of paid family leave are effectively communicated to and embraced by all members of the workforce.

Key Features:

• Duration: Up to 12 weeks of paid leave.
  • Coverage: Applicable to all workers, including part-time and gig economy workers.
  • Family Support: Ensures families have the financial support necessary during significant life events.
  • Inclusivity: Covers various family situations, including parental, caregiving, and medical leave.
  • Job Protection: Guarantees job security during the leave period.
  • Outreach Enhancement: Implements strategies to effectively communicate the benefits of paid family leave to diverse segments of the workforce.

Addressing Outreach Challenges:

1. Communication Platforms: Utilizes diverse communication channels, including digital platforms, community events, and workplace seminars, to ensure that information about paid family leave reaches all workers.

2. Cultural Sensitivity: Tailors outreach materials to be culturally sensitive, recognizing and respecting the diversity of the workforce to foster greater understanding and acceptance of the benefits provided.

3. Employee Advocacy Programs: Establishes employee advocacy programs to empower workers to become ambassadors for the paid family leave initiative, creating a grassroots movement within workplaces.

4. Collaboration with Employers: Encourages collaboration with employers to actively support and promote the benefits of paid family leave, fostering a workplace culture that values family well-being.

Rephrased Response with Synonyms:
The Comprehensive Family Well-being and Workplace Harmony Act envisions a nationwide initiative that ensures workers the right to paid time off for personal and family reasons. This proposed legislation recognizes the need for a systematic approach to provide financial support during critical life events, such as childbirth, adoption, or serious illness. Beyond these vital provisions, the legislation also addresses the challenges associated with outreach efforts, ensuring that the benefits of paid family leave are effectively communicated to and embraced by all members of the workforce.

Key Features:

• Duration: Up to 12 weeks of paid leave.
  • Coverage: Applicable to all workers, including part-time and gig economy workers.
  • Family Support: Ensures families have the financial support necessary during significant life events.
  • Inclusivity: Covers various family situations, including parental, caregiving, and medical leave.
  • Job Protection: Guarantees job security during the leave period.
  • Outreach Enhancement: Implements strategies to effectively communicate the benefits of paid family leave to diverse segments of the workforce.
    Addressing Outreach Challenges:
  1. Communication Platforms: Utilizes diverse communication channels, including digital platforms, community events, and workplace seminars, to ensure that information about paid family leave reaches all workers.

2. Cultural Sensitivity: Tailors outreach materials to be culturally sensitive, recognizing and respecting the diversity of the workforce to foster greater understanding and acceptance of the benefits provided.

3. Employee Advocacy Programs: Establishes employee advocacy programs to empower workers to become ambassadors for the paid family leave initiative, creating a grassroots movement within workplaces.

4. Collaboration with Employers: Encourages collaboration with employers to actively support and promote the benefits of paid family leave, fostering a workplace culture that values family well-being.

By championing the Comprehensive Family Well-being and Workplace Harmony Act, we are advocating for a transformative initiative that not only supports families during critical life events but also ensures that the benefits of paid family leave are communicated and embraced across all segments of the workforce. This legislation represents a commitment to building a more inclusive and supportive workplace culture that prioritizes family well-being and workplace harmony.

I thought the AI made a good spot on number #4 so I asked for more detailed answer:

Certainly! Let’s delve deeper into strategy #4, which focuses on collaboration with employers to actively support and promote the benefits of paid family leave. This strategy aims to create a workplace culture that values and encourages the use of paid family leave by employees.

Strategy #4: Collaboration with Employers

Objective: Foster a workplace culture that actively supports and promotes the benefits of paid family leave, ensuring employees feel encouraged to utilize this essential resource.

Key Components:

1. Employer Education Programs:

• Develop comprehensive education programs for employers to raise awareness about the positive impact of paid family leave on employee morale, productivity, and retention.
    • Provide informational sessions or workshops to help employers understand the legal requirements, business advantages, and best practices associated with implementing and promoting paid family leave.
  2. Customizable Implementation Plans:

• Offer customizable implementation plans for employers to integrate paid family leave seamlessly into their workplace policies.
    • Provide guidance on tailoring leave policies to suit the specific needs and size of each business, ensuring flexibility while meeting legal standards.
  3. Employee Success Stories:

• Share success stories of businesses that have successfully implemented and embraced paid family leave, emphasizing the positive outcomes for both employees and the company.
    • Encourage employers to showcase these success stories internally to inspire a positive shift in workplace culture.
  4. Recognition and Awards:

• Establish recognition programs or awards for companies that demonstrate exemplary commitment to supporting employees through paid family leave.
    • Publicly acknowledge and celebrate businesses that prioritize family well-being, creating positive competition and motivation for others to follow suit.
  5. Peer-to-Peer Networking:

• Facilitate networking opportunities for employers to connect and share insights on implementing paid family leave policies.
    • Encourage peer-to-peer mentorship programs where businesses with successful paid family leave initiatives guide others through the implementation process.
  1. Resources and Toolkits:

• Create comprehensive resources and toolkits that employers can use to communicate the benefits of paid family leave to their employees.
    • Include customizable templates for internal communications, posters, and other promotional materials to make it easy for employers to spread the word.
  2. Incentives for Adoption:

• Explore the possibility of offering tax incentives or other financial benefits to businesses that actively support and promote paid family leave.
    • Collaborate with governmental bodies to provide recognition or incentives for employers who go above and beyond in implementing family-friendly policies.
  3. Regular Check-ins and Feedback Loops:

• Establish regular check-ins with employers to gather feedback on the implementation of paid family leave policies.
    • Use feedback to continuously improve resources, address concerns, and adapt strategies to better meet the needs of both employers and employees.

By strategically collaborating with employers through these initiatives, the Comprehensive Family Well-being and Workplace Harmony Act seeks not only to institute legal frameworks but also to cultivate a cultural shift within workplaces that recognizes the value of supporting employees during significant life events. This approach aims to make paid family leave an integral and celebrated aspect of a positive workplace culture.

I think this makes for a good template to work off edit, expand, or contract scope / language.

3 Likes

Thank you all @here for weighing in! We’d love to hear from more people so that we can then distill it all down into one short summary. As you continue to talk through this, remember:

• Is there a specific piece of legislation that has been introduced (this year or previously) that we should target? Something different?
  • Keep it simple: Even though you are providing explanations and rationale, keep it simple for now. We’ll dive into the weeds and perfect things later. Let’s focus on getting as much participation as possible so that everyone’s ideas and contributions are welcomed and considered.
  • If you don’t have all the answers, or answers to all pieces of legislation, that’s okay! Just do your best. Anything you have to offer is helpful and appreciated.

Looking for a path forward to getting any proposition, like paid family leave, through the voting congress, I see the donor class as the primary obstacle, being that they have bought and paid for the loyalty of their districts congressmen to do their bidding (with loss of donations as the penalty for failure to follow instructions). We need to convince the donors it’s a good idea, to get it to pass. Not likely, since that would hurt the profits for them. If we, on the other hand, were the donors, then it’s a green light for progress! So how do we become the donors? I stand by my opinion that first, we must get money out of politics. If we can do that, the system can start to function again as designed, by the people and for the people.
This response applies equally to all 3 top pieces of legislation being discussed.

1 Like

What - A constitutional amendment to establish PFL as a right.

Where - Federal

Why - Because 84% of Americans want this. Other developed countries have PFL already. It’s insane that people in the US don’t have access to PFL. Because families need as much help as they can get.

Edit:
Why (continued) - I think getting this amendment ratified in state conventions would show people that they have the power to make positive change in their lives.

There are studies showing that PFL increases productivity, and therefore profits. This may not be enough to convince the donor class which @isp pointed out is pivotal in passing legislation, but if the cost benefit is promoted enough it is possible.

1 Like

What can we say about why popular economics such as PFL are actively repressed by our oligarchy? My take is that such issues are about socio-economic control broadly, and not about any one particular issue. Like, the politics of PFL is less about economic productivity, and more about social dominance. If we’re working on PFL issue, this type of analysis may be helpful.

We can be absolutely certain some of the opposition against things such as PFL will already know PFL will be economically beneficial broadly; and that is why they oppose it. Their preference is about keeping society poor and desperate, because this relative gap in real wealth terms is their source of power over society; (real economic inequality is an effectiveness multiplier for nominal economic inequality).

Part of the operations organized by those I am referring to includes inducing delusions into academia, law, and politics, such that most of the opposition (against things such as PFL) have such psychological damage that they are heavily conditioned to believe myths like: raising wages kills jobs, or that government is the problem, or that PFL would harm the economy, etc. Such beliefs are often induced psychological conditioning, and are also often like cultish religious doctrine, (even especially among economists, since an economist’s renown is basically a function of having internalized and reproduced the delusions).

So, if we’re talking about convincing people of PFL being economically productive, we should expect that for some we can never be convincing. And we should expect subject issue experts will be disproportionately represented among those.

Ideally, if we are to be convincing to the general public, then we should figure how to cut through the misinformation propaganda spread by merchants of doubt. We might find exemplary cases to produce a clear narrative, which also negates the doubts of economic experts, and also circumvents the common psychological backfire effect triggers.

But, is convincing the general public what we need to do? If FPL is so popular already, then I would suspect not. Though, we should maybe have our case ready as to how PFL would be economically productive.

1 Like

I agree, having documented studies will definitely be key here. Also being absolutely clear about defining PFL so it’s not as easily demonized as a “handout.” The question does remain of who we actually need to convince, and whether major corporations even want workers to be happier or healthier. I have doubts. This may have to turn into a unionization push.

2 Likes

The FAMILY act was bundled in with Build Back Better in 2021, and appears to be another of the bills congress is ignoring. I don’t particularly like all the language, but I’m not a lawmaker and don’t know what is really necessary for something like PFML to be enacted on a federal level.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/248/text
The House is stonewalling the American public, maybe @monkeypants idea would be a step forward if not a workaround

2 Likes

Alright everyone @here, looks like it’s agreed that PFL is the place to start. Here’s a draft of the template I provided with some portions filled out. I did this to offer an example, but I’m sure it can be improved. Please take it from here and let me know when you need help or are ready for me to provide feedback. Let’s aim for this Tuesday at the latest for it to be done.

LEGISLATION: Paid Family Leave

WHAT: This is the latest Family Act introduced in May, 2023. More research needs to be done to compare this legislation to others, including what is the most feasible to get passed + how it compares to what really does work in other countries.

WHERE: Federal Level

WHY: Not only does it have cross-partisan support of 84%, but due to the fact that the U.S. is one of the worst countries in the world on this issue, there is a ton of evidence to show people why the U.S. needs to catch up with the rest of the world.

3 Likes