The New Candidates

Sanders and Hailey, I gotta tell you, I didn’t expect that! I see your point, though. That ticket definitely has the potential to appeal to a vast group of people. If I could be a fly on the wall of that tour bus! Also, I’m with you on Gavin and JB. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I think Gretchen Whitmer is a good choice. Michigan is an important swing state and it also has a significant Palestinian population that Biden has lost.
She will bring out Trump’s misogyny, which will turn off some voters.
She can effectively speak on abortion rights.
She has first hand experience with MAGA extremists an has a compelling story about it leading to an assassination attempt on her own life.
Michigan’s economy has been on an upswing, so she can speak with authority on economics.
Shouldn’t matter, but, she is an attractive person.

Newsom has too much California baggage…high cost of housing, high taxes, obvious corruption, huge unhoused population, serious drug problems, etc.

7 Likes

Al Gore would be an easy strategic campaign and great solution for the short time window, but last I heard he didn’t want to return to politics. Who knows he might be persuaded given the circumstances though. You might drop a few votes to independents for age and policy but very few. You would probably gain far more in extra enthusiasm and turn out that could be generated if you managed the campaign properly though. It’s an easy sell even for uncreative Democratic campaign managers.

2 Likes

What’s the word on Warren? Is she still interested? Probably far too progressive for the establishment, but would love to see it. If it goes to open convention we need to think about candidates like her to help maneuver the agenda and platform. What compromises have to be made to get a ticket will definitely be important. Even if candidates are rejected if enough are options the delegates will have to play ball with uncomfortable allies to get their preferred candidates.

3 Likes

Pritzger is not the problem in Illinois. He inherited the mess. He is a bit on the old style corrupt side, but genuinely has a forward leaning agenda. Obvious skeletons are being involved in the Obama Senate seat scandal and a property tax controversy about some of his property. He had been very aggressive in trying to make some progressive changes. Tried to get a progressive tax agenda through, but was thwarted, has been strong on increasing benefits to families. Increased money for foster families, increased food allowances. So it’s a mixed bag. But at worst I think he is someone who grifts a little and will use corruption to actually get things done, but actually has some progressive goals.

I only really had a problem with Tipper, but that just might be the vapors of my GenX self. Censorship is just a polite way to address propaganda. But after a search, Al and Tipper have been separated since 2010…

2 Likes

Disagree. anything he inherited, he made twice as bad. he’s the epitome of say nice things to your face while robbing you. He has a literal super-majority, no one is ‘thwarting’ him. Taxes are at an all time high and still rising, Illinois is hemorrhaging residents.crime is high. public services have been cut, not expanded. he’s not a progressive, he’s a corporate billionaire in a blue tie only interested in his own power and status. I would bet money you don’t live in IL.

1 Like

Has IL changed from the 4.95 flat tax? I, genuinely, had not heard. At least for State taxation, MN is higher taxed. And no one is super in love with Walz, he’s … very Minnesotan.

2 Likes

You don’t know the details. Yes it was thwarted. It had previously been prevented by state amendment. He tried to get it overturned but couldn’t get the votes to abolish the amendment. Had nothing to do with the state assembly. The mess we have is from 3 of the 4 previous governors being terrible and the other one probably treated too harshly for making hard choices but he wasn’t overly great either. Two of them I remind you were literally jailed and ran up huge deficits and our last governor tried to pull a Kansas and shut us down. We didn’t have a budget for over a year and drove up our interest rates on our already terrible deficit because he destroyed our credit rating. It also left companies and vendors without payment and caused serious problems throughout the state. So yeah our financial situation not great! Kind of stuck with it for a little while until we fix that. Doesn’t happen overnight. The crime could be better but still far better than most red states per capita. There is a serious drug problem but that is a problem everywhere. The draconian freedom rhetoric is overblown. Mostly republicans trying to come up with stuff they can actually pin on him, slightly more restrictive then some states but nothing that is a serious reach.

Illinois has the 7th highest state tax burden in the country according to every ranking, just behind or tied with California. property taxes have gotten to the point where the state is being sued over them.

1 Like

Telepathic. Yes we couldn’t get that changed and sales is 6.25 I think. Yeah taxes could be better for sure but we have a mess to fix so we will get there. The progressive taxes would have helped.

2 Likes

Yes the property taxes are terrible. That is a long term problem predating Pritzger, but I agree he needs to make it a bigger priority to fix. I am certain that part of the problem is there are systemic corruption issues going on in the property tax system here. The assessments are wildly inconsistent, leading me believe that there are local interests and bad actors at work somewhere. I don’t have the time and resources to dig into it though.

1 Like

he gutted an insurance bill and created a commonly owned weapons ban that went into effect 72 hours after it was introduced by ramming it through the legislature in the middle of the night. nothing is stopping him from overturning an amendment, there is no such thing as not having the votes with his apparatus and money. he bought the il supreme court with campaign contributions that violated his own campaign finance laws. crime is though the roof. property taxes are at a 30 year high. quality of life in this state has steadily declined.

but go ahead and keep being an apologist for a billionaire.

I’m not being an apologist. I’m giving you good and bad. Only the voters can overturn the flat tax amendment. He definitely wanted it gone, property taxes are a massive problem. He may very well have a vested interest in them not changing. I mentioned he had a property tax scandal involving his properties. I said he was old school corrupt but forward leaning. I definitely suspect the insurance gutting probably came from that. Many states are pushing those alternative Medicare plans through. The insurance companies have most states in their pockets, but he did increase benefits for families. Ours saw those first hand.

1 Like

i’m sincerely happy your family saw at least some benefit, but on average people are worse off under pritzker. it’s why we’re losing thousands of residents every month. he definitely benefits because if he wanted tax reform on the ballot it would be there. what billionaire wants to pay more taxes?

he’s proven he can and will do anything he pleases, and no one can stop him. he belongs in a cell with all the other former governors of this state.

I would pick Gavin Newsom. I know he is hated, and for good reason. However, he is one punchy candidate that could flip Trump out of the water. Like a Hammerhead, it would be the demise of Trump. He would be useful in the final destruction and dismantling of MAGA, and could tow us towards calmer waters.
Granted, its not a place of serenity for us, but it could bring us back from the brink of annihilation. And I know people are lording over Michelle (Obama), even though shes not running. I would still pick Gavin over her.

2 Likes

There are three different types of people to choose from, current politicians, former politicians, or outside candidates. With the first group, decide whether you pluck someone from a ‘red’ state that might appeal to non maga conservatives but that you can’t easily replace or pluck one from a place that you can replace but will not be seen as ‘middle ground’ ( read as owned). The second group has less current name recognition and possible baggage but you won’t have to worry about what the municipality will replace them with. The final group, no one knows exactly where they stand on every issue but with the blank page and popularity people will write what they want to see.

A potential VP could be our governor in NC Roy Cooper. He has been a 2 term gov, Dem in a “purple but leans red state.” He has had to deal with a supermajority for a little over a year but successfully negotiationed Medicaid expansion and did a good job during the pandemic.

4 Likes

Newsom just reminds me too much of DJT Jr (and vice versa). Plus they have Guilfoyle in common. (Seems she has a type)

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Tipper to Gore what Biden was to Obama? A centrist establishment politician to pull in the middle?