Who is the greatest activist ever? The GOAT!

In human history there have been many activists for positive change. Who was the greatest? Why? (Doesn’t have to be in the US either) Prepare to be challenged. Be ready to defend it.

2 Likes

I think Carl Sagan is a great example for what change can actually do and how people ignore the best advice. Pull up his interaction with congress. He was so far ahead of his time and made an impact for environmentalists and almost anyone wanting to make this Pale Blue Dot a better place for as long as we fight for it. That’s what progressives are supposed to do. RIP Sagan, I know some are still listening.

2 Likes

Maybe not the GOAT, but Rachel Carson, author of “Silent Spring”, is certainly very important for the future of the planet.

1 Like

You would put Carl Sagan ahead of MLK? Remember, the question is who is the GOAT of activists? It doesn’t have to be in the US either.

1 Like

I think I answered the question as it was asked. If you wanted MLK then you should have restated the question. The reason why I put Sagan is that he was an activist for many things and some people are not aware of his speeches or accomplishments unfortunately.

1 Like

I love everyone whom was mentioned so far. I would have to say Nelson Mandela is up there for me.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there should be like a #1, but I like the fact that we are all sharing names of people we admire for bringing positive change to the world.

Let me chime in with Aaron Swartz.

2 Likes

Also as a side note, Carl Sagan’s story that was made into a movie called “Contact” features a brilliant person running for president of the USA. At the conclusion of the movie you can see Cenk Uygur as a reporter wearing a horrible blazer of sorts. I actually love the movie but I’m in the minority of that.

1 Like

Absolutely agree “fourthwall_Dragon. I love this idea of the original post. There are so many great people and there really is no wrong answer about the question because it varies on the topic of almost anything positive.

1 Like

That’s a great movie.

1 Like

I saw that in the theater with my mom and dad that have passed away now and I thought it was amazing. I think people were disappointed that it wasn’t a stupid alien movie with id4 intentions or something. I absolutely loved it. The character Foster played was very much Carl Sagan and it really shows how much passion he really had for all kinds of movements in this world.

1 Like

I mean hell if it isn’t MLK since you made that the main, Bono? He’s Irish so it counts and he wrote “Pride” which is about MLK. And he’s worked with both democrats and republicans to get legislation passed here in America and abroad. So I’ll throw Bono aka Paul Hewson into it all. In the name of love of course.

2 Likes

We need a concert for Gaza.

1 Like

Sagan didn’t have the level of opposition that MLK had. How many times was Sagan hit in the head with a billy club for his beliefs? How many times was he imprisoned? That has to be part of the conversation when we talk about the GOAT. The question isn’t who as a “good” activist. I’m asking who you think the greatest was… and don’t get sensitive when someone disagrees with you.

Well maybe you should have put all those requirements in your post to begin with. And I apologize if I seemed sensitive or disrespectful but I wasn’t taking away from what MLK did by any means. He is obviously the answer you wanted or someone as you see fit in your question to begin with. As far as my answer as Sagan perhaps if you have some time you could read about all the fights he had to go through for climate change and what he contributed to people as a whole. I’m not saying he was injured physically as I wasn’t aware of your requirements as originally posted. So if it makes you feel better you are more than welcome to reject him or anyone else that doesn’t seem to fit for your rules. Perhaps you should have just made a statement of who you think fits your requirements instead of being so rude as to dismiss and judge anyone else for suggesting anyone of hope of inspiration and progressive change. I suppose you meant to post a statement not a question?

1 Like

Good point. I’m so ashamed of the climate we live in right now. I’m not sure what his message is about the entire picture. I’m willing to guess he would be for doing that though he is a political figure to some degree but I hope he would.

He had great patience with those he had differences with, but at the same time delivering firm resolve. Some people cannot help but over indulge in schoolyard tactics when dealing with the mediocrity of daily life. I like to think if Segan and MLK were in a room together they would have a productive discussion regarding there differences if they had any.

MLK is a solid choice, but I think he wouldn’t want people disparaging others contributions on account of his greatness.

2 Likes

I challenged your point of view. If you don’t like that then thats your problem. If you’re going to participate in a public discussion forum, people are going to challenge you’re views. Get used to it.

Nye Bevin is another good candidate for GOAT status. He got the NHS established in the UK. Gahndi is certainly in the conversation as well. In fact, I think Gahndi may even be more qualified for GOAT status than MLK.

I’m confused as of what challenge of pov you’re referring. You posted a really good question and I responded. I wasn’t rude or impolite. I don’t think you like other people’s opinions even if they are not disagreeing or disrespecting you. That kind of makes you the one with a problem that you need to learn to get use to when participating in any type of forum public or otherwise. I personally have no problem with you but you do seem to be very rude without even debating or adding any real insight to your counter point of view. There is plenty of ways to say who you think is worthy of the status of your post without being so arrogant and aggressive. I think it’s sad that you had a good idea by posting your original question and then make it seem like you’re the authority of what these ranks or positions must be. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a positive discussion of wonderful and amazing progressive people not a belittling browbeating for naming someone you disagree with for some fucked up reason that I’m still not sure why or what your problem is to begin with. Chill the fuck out.

1 Like